From: deuxieme on
Steve, thanks for your question. I used the browse feature of the QT sprite. I
do have the 2004 player. Sometimes the application appears to download the
movie to the web player folder, and sometimes not. But it makes no difference
on my vista machine. The piece loads with the controller bar at the top, as if
the movie file were not there, whether it is there or not.

From: troisieme on
I finally at least got some movie pieces to play on this vista machine. The key
seemed to be to use the Put. instead of Put download, and a more complex code
structure for the movie player files. It seems just using the quick time sprite
is not enough, it has to be hedged around with calculation icons that attribute
a filename to the sprite. Why this should be the case when the sprite has
already loaded a movie is mysterious to me! Also still mysterious is why the
extra code is needed for my vista machine but not for xp.

Thanks to all of you on the list here. You all helped a lot.

From: gantek on
Unlike the display and sound icon, the QT sprite icon is just a shell for the
movie. It does not actually import and keep the movie in the Authorware file,
it just retains the path to the file. That's why I asked how you were loading
the movie. If you point the sprite to a movie on your hard drive using the
Browse button, then everyone would need to have the movie placed in that exact
path on their hard drive. By using the sprite's filename method in a calc, you
are then able to set the path to the movie on the fly, which it appears you now
have done. Glad you were able to get this resolved.

Steve Gannon
GanTek Multimedia

From: Amy Blankenship on

"gantek" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
> Unlike the display and sound icon, the QT sprite icon is just a shell for
> the
> movie. It does not actually import and keep the movie in the Authorware
> file,
> it just retains the path to the file. That's why I asked how you were
> the movie. If you point the sprite to a movie on your hard drive using the
> Browse button, then everyone would need to have the movie placed in that
> exact
> path on their hard drive. By using the sprite's filename method in a calc,
> you
> are then able to set the path to the movie on the fly, which it appears
> you now
> have done. Glad you were able to get this resolved.

But if that was what the problem is, wouldn't the problem have shown up the
first time he ran the program on a different computer, rather than waiting
until the course was upgraded?

From: deuxieme on
Dear Steve

Thanks for your comments. You can see from the ptrace files what my name is!
You can call me Harry.

In my situation, being mostly self taught in AW (starting with AW 3.5), and
with zero background in programming, I assumed that the way it was set up
implied the way to use it. So I kept all my files in the same directory with
the authorware exe file. In XP, the movies played fine on the net with only the
QT sprite in the file. But to see the files on my vista machine I had to use
the seticonproperty function to specify the filename of the sprite, otherwise
the movie was not displayed in the piece. Following advice from others I am now
keeping these files on separate media, and avoiding using the preview function
in the one button publishing, which still does not work for me on my vista
machine. Any hints on making that work would be welcome.