From: LOL! on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:03:57 -0400, "Sysop" <none(a)null.invalid> wrote:

>They put live view, and video on dSLR cameras so P&S
>who are arfraid to look through the optical viewfinder would use them.

You've never used many or any cameras much, have you.

Live view is invaluable for judging exposure, color balance, shutter-speed
preview, 100% framing (as opposed to the kludgy and inaccurate framing in
nearly all optical viewfinders), being able to ramp-up the gain in dim
lighting conditions for framing and focusing where an optical viewfinder
has long since become useless, DOF preview without dimming the image,
providing for manual-focus assist methods where central areas are zoomed in
to almost pixel level to judge focusing accuracy, real-time histograms,
zebra over/under exposure area alerts (under/over areas highlighted in
contrasting colors so you know if you can sacrifice those portions of your
image for the more important subject), etc. etc.

But that's okay. You go on pretending to know something about cameras. It's
highly entertaining every time you idiots post these displays, making total
fools of yourselves.

LOL!

From: SMS on
On 06/07/10 3:03 PM, Sysop wrote:
> "LOL!"<lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message
>>>
>> "Compact Camera Group Test:
>> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras"
>>
>> I don't see "P&S" used anywhere in that heading, do you?
>>
> Pretty well almost every camera made is auto focus, and has live view, so
> everything is a P&S. They put live view, and video on dSLR cameras so P&S
> who are arfraid to look through the optical viewfinder would use them.

Probably not. So many people complain about the lack of an optical
viewfinder on P&S cameras that it's unlikely that a lot of people are
afraid of them. Other than those people that have began using a camera
in the past five to eight years, no one is afraid of OVFs.

I've been at stores and seen people (besides me) looking for P&S cameras
with OVFs, and have handed my P&S cameras to people that were amazed
that there were still P&S cameras with a viewfinder and wanted to write
down the model number. OVFs are sorely missed by most users, but the
manufacturers don't want to spend the money on them. EVFs are better
than nothing, but can't compare to an OVF in terms of usability in
bright light.

Adding live view to a D-SLR is a good idea but when you turn on live
view you switch to CDAF which is much slower than PDAF.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:27:36 -0700, in
<4c33bbdd$0$22108$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 06/07/10 3:03 PM, Sysop wrote:
>> "LOL!"<lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> "Compact Camera Group Test:
>>> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras"
>>>
>>> I don't see "P&S" used anywhere in that heading, do you?
>>>
>> Pretty well almost every camera made is auto focus, and has live view, so
>> everything is a P&S. They put live view, and video on dSLR cameras so P&S
>> who are arfraid to look through the optical viewfinder would use them.
>
>Probably not. So many people complain about the lack of an optical
>viewfinder on P&S cameras that it's unlikely that a lot of people are
>afraid of them. Other than those people that have began using a camera
>in the past five to eight years, no one is afraid of OVFs.
>[SNIP]

Total nonsense. If the market really wanted, then manufacturers would
make them. The market prefers EVF, so that's what manufacturers make.

--
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
From: Rich on
On Jul 6, 5:30 pm, LOL! <l...(a)lol.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:55:51 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10070605superzoomgrouptest.asp
>
> Boy, I bet this part burns you to no end:
>
> "Despite entry-level DSLRs getting cheaper and cheaper the super zoom
> models are as popular as ever."
>
> LOL!
>
> Oh, and DO take note of this:
>
> "Compact Camera Group Test:
> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras"
>
> I don't see "P&S" used anywhere in that heading, do you?
>
> LOL!

Dpreview's job is to sell, which is why Amazon bought them.
From: Rich on
On Jul 6, 6:44 pm, John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:55:51 -0700 (PDT), in
> <a8449e9e-410e-451d-af4d-baa5ff2ba...(a)z8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
>
> RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's you that's really scraping the barrel.
>
> Do you really have so much free time that you have to troll incesantly
> to fill it up?
>
> >http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10070605superzoomgrouptest.asp
>
>    Image quality: outdoors / daylight
>    * Best of the bunch: Canon PowerShot SX 20 IS, Panasonic FZ35

Image "quality?" Is that what the examples in that group show?