From: Pete Dashwood on

<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:eeolim$r7l$1(a)reader1.panix.com...
> In article <1158646261.405766.20440(a)m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> <peteswansen(a)wavecable.com> wrote:
>>
>> We ran into this problem in 1989 at Tooele Army Depot.
>
> Damnation... I guess I'm not creative enough to come up with a new or
> unusual difficulty.

>>dug into the old-crusty reference manual and found the cryptic code to
>>reprogram the Honeywell.
>
> E'en worse... the target here is a WANG VS; from what I can tell the
> manuals were put in a Very Safe Place when folks did a floor-to-floor
> shuffle a few years back. Fortunately there is this WorldWide Web thingie
> that allows for researching such matters.
>
>>I got a cash award for $200 and 1-grade
>>promotion for my part in this adventure. You know, I still dream of
>>stacks of cards, 4 part carbons, impact printers, tape drives and my
>>short career programming in COBOL- now I use VB, Java, and C.
>
> Keep a close watch on those dreams... I recall reading, somewhere, about a
> fellow who was languishing in a prison until it was discovered that he
> could interpret dreams; he got promoted from the jail-house to
> second-in-command of a mighty empire... got a Company Chariot, too.
>
> DD

To be fair, Doc, he was also a snappy dresser... :-)

Pete.

From: on
In article <4nabupF9dri9U1(a)individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)enternet.co.nz> wrote:

><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:eeolim$r7l$1(a)reader1.panix.com...
>> In article <1158646261.405766.20440(a)m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
>> <peteswansen(a)wavecable.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>>I got a cash award for $200 and 1-grade
>>>promotion for my part in this adventure. You know, I still dream of
>>>stacks of cards, 4 part carbons, impact printers, tape drives and my
>>>short career programming in COBOL- now I use VB, Java, and C.
>>
>> Keep a close watch on those dreams... I recall reading, somewhere, about a
>> fellow who was languishing in a prison until it was discovered that he
>> could interpret dreams; he got promoted from the jail-house to
>> second-in-command of a mighty empire... got a Company Chariot, too.
>
>To be fair, Doc, he was also a snappy dresser... :-)

Of *course* he was, Mr Dashwood... it happened in the Oldene Dayse, when a
man could be decked out in fine threads, a zoot-suit with a reet pleat,
lo, such as *ten* men could not be decked out, today!

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:36:04 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>All righty... I've been asked about having a job on an IBM mainframe
>(z/OS) produce ASCII output.
================
Howard, where is your LABEL parameter on the output tape DD statement.
IIRC
you need to specify LABEL=(1,AL) or somesuch.

Jim McAlpine
======================

Howard,

Try adding LABEL=(1,AL) or LABEL=(1,NL). I think you are getting the
default of 1,SL which
does not work with OPTCD=Q.

Regards,
John
From: on
In article <4q00h2ppgvk5g8t847f06ojqr1mokdod7s(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:36:04 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>

>>All righty... I've been asked about having a job on an IBM mainframe
>>(z/OS) produce ASCII output.
>================
>Howard, where is your LABEL parameter on the output tape DD statement.
>IIRC
>you need to specify LABEL=(1,AL) or somesuch.
>
>Jim McAlpine
>======================
>
>Howard,
>
>Try adding LABEL=(1,AL) or LABEL=(1,NL). I think you are getting the
>default of 1,SL which
>does not work with OPTCD=Q.

Well, it does... *something*, that's for sure, and the results of this
'something' seem to toss it back into the laps of Ops. When the JCL is
coded:

//SORTOUT DD DSN=hinode.TEST.ASCII,
// DISP=(,CATLG,CATLG),
// UNIT=TAPE,EXPDT=98000,
// DCB=(OPTCD=Q),LABEL=(1,NL)

.... I get an error message of 'SMC0043 Job CNVASCI1 step STEP1 not
allocatable at MINLVL=2; failing DD SORTOUT'.

According to the QuickWeference for SMC0043 the 'allocation component
detected that the job is not allocatable at the specified minimum
exclusion level (MINLVL)' and the User Response should be to 'Correct the
JCL, or change the MINLVL for the specified job.' ... and according to the
Web (using Google to search on 'jcl minlvl' (no ') or 'jcl "minimum
exclusion level"' (no ', " included) there isn't much out there.

To all involved... thanks much!

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
That is correct. This is from the "Macro Instrucionns for Data Sets"
manual; see the last paragraph and note that LABEL=(,AL) assumes
OPTCD=Q

requests conversion of the tape records between what is stored on
tape and what is supplied from/to the problem program. For input
requests, conversion is done after the data is read from tape. For
output requests, conversion is done just before the record is
written to tape.

The Q option implies that the character representation of the data
on tape differs from that seen by the problem program. Data
management converts records according to one of the following
techniques:

O CCSID Conversion

If CCSIDs are supplied from any source for ISO/ANSI V4 tapes,
records are converted between the CCSID which represents the
data on tape and the CCSID as seen by the problem program. You
can also prevent conversion by supplying a special CCSID.

O Default Character Conversion

If you are using non-ISO/ANSI V4 tapes or if CCSIDs are not
supplied by any source, data management converts the records
between ASCII code (which represents the data on tape) to
EBCDIC code (which is seen by the problem program) using
specific tables defined for this default character conversion.

Refer to z/OS DFSMS: Using Data Sets, SC26-7410, for a complete
description of CCSID conversion and default character conversion.

Refer to z/OS DFSMS: Using Magnetic Tapes for more information
about ISO/ANSI labels.

Q is supported only for a magnetic tape that does not have IBM
standard labels. If the tape has ISO/ANSI/FIPS labels
(LABEL=(,AL)), the system assumes OPTCD=Q.

--
Bruce A. Black

John Kington <john.kington(a)CONVERGYS.COM>
If you say NL but the tape that is mounted has labels (standard or
ANSI)
the mount is rejected

--
Bruce A. Black