From: on
In article <cu70h2pcmcnk927bhj7goibd970pnubioj(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:

Once again, thanks to all... but I can't even get a tape mounted, the
SMC0043 tells me that the unit cannot be allocated.

DD

[top post, nothing new below]

From: Alistair on

docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> All righty... I've been asked about having a job on an IBM mainframe
> (z/OS) produce ASCII output.
>
> (To those who think to inquire 'Why don't you produce EBCDIC output and
> then have ftp translate it during transfer to the target?' my response is
> 'I have made this suggestion and someone who signs my timesheet responded
> 'That will be considered a possibility; right now you should look into
> making the ASCII files on the mainframe.''... and yes, all fields are
> either text or display numerics w/ sign leading separate.)
>
> I recall - but my memory is, admittedly, porous - something about the DCB
> parameter OPTCD=Q being able to accomplish this but it will require more
> jiggery-pokery than I can come up with; when I code an IEBGENER or a
> DFSORT with DD statements like:
>
> //INDD DD DISP=SHR,
> // DSN=INPUT.DATASET.INEBCDIC
> //OUTDD DD DSN=OUTPUT.DATASET.INASCII,
> // DISP=(,CATLG,CATLG),
> // UNIT=TAPE,RETPD=0,
> // DCB=(*.INDD,BUFNO=30,OPTCD=Q)
>
> ... I get an ABEND (in the case of DFSORT it is IEC141I 013-70, a problem
> with the OPEN macro... but the QW text for Return Code 70 (for V=IBM
> P=Z/OS SYSTEM MSGS R=V1R4 I=IEC141I) reads:
>
> --begin quoted text:
>
> An OPEN macro instruction was issued for a data set on magnetic tape. A
> conflict exists between LABEL parameters on the DD statement, and the
> DCBRECFM, DCBOPTCD, DCBBUFOF, and DCBUSASI fields, which give the
> appearance of mixed ASCII and EBCDIC attributes for the data set; or TRTCH
> was specified for a 9-track tape.
>
> Some examples of conflicts are that for AL tapes the BLKSIZE must be less
> than 2048, RECFM=V,U and VB cannot be used. For details about AL tape
> restrictions see z/OS DFSMS: Using Magnetic Tapes . Note that most
> utilities (except for IEHINITT) do not support ASCII.
>
> --end quoted text
>
> (changing UNIT=TAPE,RETPD=0 to UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(6000,500),RLSE) does
> not change the error but the salient text for 70 then appears to be 'An
> OPEN macro instruction was issued for a data set not on magnetic tape.
> Either OPTCD=Q was specified, or OPEN was issued for an ISAM data set
> using QSAM.')
>
> It appears obvious that under the conditions of my experiment DFSORT is
> falling into the category of 'most utilities'. Might someone be so kind
> as to point me towards a resource from which I may be able to glean a
> solution?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> (Oh... and among a bunch of Other Stuff a Google search for '"EBCDIC ASCII
> translation" jcl' (no ', " included) returns
> http://www.dbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-327313.html ; this informs,
> among other things, that 'answering a question with a question is no
> answer at all'... it's on the Web, it's gotta be right, right?)
>
> DD

Sadly, you have proven to me how porous my memory is. I worked on an
invoicing system for 8 years where we had one job with an output of
tape ascii. So I should have been able to answer this one.

1. Try to remove the refer back used to pickup the input datasets DCB
parameters.

2. Check with ops whether you need to have the tape preformatted to be
in ascii output.

3. Add the label statement (that one rings a bell but all I hear are
faint echoes).

4. Do not create the ascii output in the DFSORT but add a copy step
(IEFBR14/IEBCOPY?).

I guess it ain't just my boozy chums' brain which has become addled
with alcohol.

From: Clark F Morris on
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:50:14 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>In article <s%CPg.28511$jS4.18972(a)fe03.news.easynews.com>,
>William M. Klein <wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
>>A couple of answers (to you and other posts).
>>
>> much snipped, I think I kept the right attributions
>>
>>5) All of this assumes a COBOL application. If you want a DFSort answer, I can
>>make certain that Frank Yeager knows about your post and he can probably
>>provide
>>additional DFSort information.
>
>Not necessarily DFSORT, *any* JCL/utility stream which will not require
>the creating of a special program full of obscure constructs and arcane
>references. The reason for this is, of course, that the less 'stuff' one
>needs to get past folks in order to get Prod implementation the less stuff
>there is for someone to look at and say 'I don't understand this... so it
>doesn't go in.'
>
>(for some reason folks here are more willing to let utilities/JCL
>constructs with which they are unfamiliar into Prod - I've put in the
>first jobs using things like referbacks and ICETOOL that this shop seems
>to have seen - than they are willing to let unfamiliar COBOL constructs
>pass in a similar manner)

I have noticed the same syndrome. Somehow those in charge don't
realize that JCL (OCL/shell script/command language of choice or
affliction), utility control statements and similar artifacts are code
that may be making business decisions. In the case of sort control
statements like INCLUDE/OMIT, the decisions can be made in a really
obscure way. If companies really cared about documentation and
auditablity, they would have only COBOL/PL1/other language sorts and
not an easily changed and obscure bunch of control statements running
the sorts.

From: William M. Klein on
Doc,
I don't think this has made it back to comp.lang.cobol yet. Hope this helps.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: on
In article <9941h29gn81nmi1oa5fora5u822eqv1863(a)4ax.com>,
Clark F Morris <cfmpublic(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:50:14 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

[snip]

>>(for some reason folks here are more willing to let utilities/JCL
>>constructs with which they are unfamiliar into Prod - I've put in the
>>first jobs using things like referbacks and ICETOOL that this shop seems
>>to have seen - than they are willing to let unfamiliar COBOL constructs
>>pass in a similar manner)
>
>I have noticed the same syndrome.

Ah yes... once again, every place is different so every place is the same.

DD