From: Robert Jones on

Clark F Morris wrote:

messages snipped

> I have noticed the same syndrome. Somehow those in charge don't
> realize that JCL (OCL/shell script/command language of choice or
> affliction), utility control statements and similar artifacts are code
> that may be making business decisions. In the case of sort control
> statements like INCLUDE/OMIT, the decisions can be made in a really
> obscure way. If companies really cared about documentation and
> auditablity, they would have only COBOL/PL1/other language sorts and
> not an easily changed and obscure bunch of control statements running
> the sorts.

Surely the most appropriate action is to apply testing, audit and
documentation standards to JCL, utilities, etc in the same way as
programs. One could perhaps have an approved list, so that the
organisation's personnel can be reasonably expected to be familiar with
them and have access to the relevant manuals for debugging, etc.
Writing several hundred lines in place of just a few seems like
overkill.

Robert

From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:41:24 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>E-9: Chief Master Sergeant (five down, three up, white star)

>O-1: Second Lieutenant (yellow bar)
>O-3: Captain (two silver bars connected by smaller bars)
>(senior officers)

When I was awaiting Pilot Training, I was a data automation officer O1
working for an O3. Reporting to us was a E9 who ran the place...

>(also of note is the use of the same label - 'Captain' - for Army, Air
>Force and Marine Corps officers of O-3 grade and a Navy officer of O-6
>grade... which the other forces call 'Colonel')

I knew of a guy who changed services - but he was a 2Lt, 1Lt, Lt Jg, &
a Lt. I never knew anybody who was both types of captain though. I'm
sure it must happen.

This reminds me of a completely different story. This sergeant who
worked with me had earlier been on duty in Korea while his home
station was in Hawaii. He had his fiance move to Hawaii where he got
married on the radio. She moved into married quarters and set up
house, while his pay went up because he was married. When he came
back, all their friends and relatives vacationed in Hawaii while they
had their church wedding.

Between Hawaii and Korea is the International Date line. Every
year, on separate days, they celebrated his anniversary, her
anniversary, and their anniversary.
From: Clark F Morris on
On 20 Sep 2006 12:06:41 -0700, "Robert Jones" <rjones0(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Clark F Morris wrote:
>
>messages snipped
>
>> I have noticed the same syndrome. Somehow those in charge don't
>> realize that JCL (OCL/shell script/command language of choice or
>> affliction), utility control statements and similar artifacts are code
>> that may be making business decisions. In the case of sort control
>> statements like INCLUDE/OMIT, the decisions can be made in a really
>> obscure way. If companies really cared about documentation and
>> auditablity, they would have only COBOL/PL1/other language sorts and
>> not an easily changed and obscure bunch of control statements running
>> the sorts.
>>

>Surely the most appropriate action is to apply testing, audit and
>documentation standards to JCL, utilities, etc in the same way as
>programs. One could perhaps have an approved list, so that the
>organisation's personnel can be reasonably expected to be familiar with
>them and have access to the relevant manuals for debugging, etc.
>Writing several hundred lines in place of just a few seems like
>overkill.

I agree that the suggested course should be undertaken. However, most
mainframe sorts that I have seen use the field displacement, length
and type in specifications rather than field names. I understand that
ICETOOL from IBM and Visual Syncsort improve on this. Syncsort for
HP-UX also can use copy books and will allow you to write something
that can be read and understood 6 months later. However a COBOL
program can be fairly minimal in actual coding through the use of
copybooks and can in many cases allow consolidations. We are not in a
world of 64K partitions or 512K regions anymore.

From: on
In article <4043h2hj516cu2rkd1kgiupir2rvi2codf(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:46:29 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>The mnemonic we were taught was 'Be My Little General':
>>
>>Brigadier General (one star)
>>Major General (two stars)
>>Lieutenant General (three stars)
>>General (four stars)
>>
>>The 'General/Admiral of the Army/Armies/Navy/Air Force', five stars in a
>>circle, was a rank invented to impress officers of other nations with whom
>>the USA had to perform jointly.
>>
>>DD
>
>Not counting George Washington, back when the ranks were titles.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies#George_Washington

--begin quoted text:

During his lifetime, George Washington (February 22, 1732 - December 14,
1799) never held the rank "General of the Armies."

[snip]

On 11 October 1976, by Act of Congress, Washington was posthumously
appointed to the rank of General of the Armies.

--end quoted text

In 1976, 'back when the ranks were titles', aye.

DD

From: on
In article <8t33h2luhdk2k0fr6c01fu6ei68g4gua16(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:

[snip]

>And now, for the full monty, in Rexxspeak:
>
>"Alloc f(inn) DA(junk) SHR"
>"DEL JUNK2"
>"Alloc F(out) DA(junk2) NEW LIKE(JUNK)"
>"OCOPY INDD(inn) OUTDD(out) CONVERT((BPXFX311)) FROM1047"
>"FREE F(inn out)"
>
>This works, I have just tested it.

Bingo! Absolutely outstanding, my thanks and compliments to all who gave
this bit of trivia time and effort. The job I cobbled together to do this
in batch has the guts of:

//STEP020 EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,REGION=512K
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//EBCIN DD DSN=NODE1.NODE2.EBCDIC.DATA,DISP=SHR
//ASCOUT DD DSN=NODE1.NODE2.ASCII.DATA,
// DISP=(,CATLG,CATLG),
// UNIT=FILE,
// SPACE=(CYL,(168,25),RLSE),
// DCB=(NODE1.NODE2.EBCDIC.DATA)
//SYSTSIN DD *
OCOPY INDD(EBCIN) OUTDD(ASCOUT) CONVERT((BPXFX311)) FROM1047
/*

Now... there's still a bit of jiggery-pokery needed; it seems that there
in one of the fields (surname) they want X'7D' EBC (') to be translated
as X'20' ASC (space)... I'm sure there is a Very Good Reason for this but
I believe I can get DFSORT to deal with it using ALTSEQ, viz.

OPTION COPY
ALTSEQ CODE=(7D40)
OUTFIL FNAMES=SORTOUT,
OUTREC=(1:1,18,19:19,16,TRAN=ALTSEQ,35:35,5966)

.... to create an &&TEMP with X'40' EBC in the right place which is then
used as input instead of NODE1.NODE2.EBCDIC.DATA.

Thanks again!

DD