From: Symon on
On 3/25/2010 4:03 PM, austin wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Some thoughts:
>
>> 1. Filtering of IC-supply-voltage
>> While it is quite standard to filter e.g. the PLL-supply voltages of a
>> FPGA, there are some suggestions to filter the supply-voltage of every
>> IC (CPU, FPGA, memory, ...) on the PCB with a ferrite-bead + C.
>> (Consequently, this also means that every IC has it's own Vdd-island
>> in the power-plane.) Does this work?
>
> You must be using a non-Xilinx device: our requirements are clearly
> spelled out in our user's guides. And, we do not require filtering
> the supply to our clock tile PLL in V5, V6, nor S6.

It's hard to imagine a board without some non-Xilinx devices on it
somewhere. Some of these devices may need isolation from the noise
generated by the FPGA. Power islands are a good way to deal with this.
Syms.
From: Symon on
On 3/25/2010 2:55 PM, Andy wrote:
> On Mar 24, 8:57 pm, Symon<symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> 2) Only nutters have power planes. They use up valuable space in which
>> you could more profitably use a ground plane.
>
> Surely you mean "Only nutters have separately filtered power planes
> for individual general purpose digital IC supplies."

I meant what I said. And don't call me Shirley.

> Otherwise, suggesting that planes (partial or full) are not needed for
> power distribution to digital circuitry is ludicrous.

In general, and especially in the context of the OP's points about using
power planes as signal return paths, I contend that power planes on
digital boards are expensive and a waste of time. Indeed, they can be
counter productive. There are many power supplies on the board. For
example, an FPGA may typically have different supplies on different I/O
banks, plus a core supply, plus an DCM/PLL supply. Would you have a
plane for every supply? If you use a single PCB layer for two supplies,
what happens when a signal on an adjacent layer crosses the gap? What
happens when you want to isolate a device from a noisy supply?
Far simpler to use the power islands mentioned in the OP, and use
multiple ground planes for return paths.

>> If anyone wants to disagree with this advice, I want a specific, first
>> person example where what I suggest is wrong. I don't want to hear what
>> some 'guru' told you on a course you paid for. :-)
>
> Why should we supply any more evidence than you have?

Is that the royal 'we'? :-)

From: Andy on
I agree that power islands, where required, are OK, but it was not
clear what your original statement was recommending. Under what
circumstances power islands are required is up for debate.

Whether they are used as signal shield layers (for HF return currents)
is dependent up on the application, whether traces can be routed
without crossing between different islands, and whether or not adding
additional layers for additional ground planes is a good trade.

No sir, I'm just part of the common 'we' (the same group you adressed
as 'anyone'). Are you the Royal Symon?

Andy
From: John_H on
On Mar 25, 10:55 am, Andy <jonesa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Otherwise, suggesting that planes (partial or full) are not needed for
> power distribution to digital circuitry is ludicrous.

Consider:

Why do we need power planes? Are we trying to keep the "reference
rails" common between chips to a very high degree like we do with our
ground planes?

Here's an argument: distributed capacitance between the power and
ground planes are effective at the very high frequency end where
decoupling caps start to loose their effectiveness. Oops! Decoupling
at those very high frequencies off-chip doesn't appear to have much
effect [guru suggestion] and the larger the plane, the lower the self-
resonant frequency of that plane. If you have an 11" board, your
quarter wavelength is about 250MHz. Smaller planes are more effective
at pushing this high end of resonance out of the picture. Smaller
planes means smaller distributed capacitance.

I can understand the need for power planes in analog or balanced
circuits where the decoupling effects are still prevalent at the
discrete level. But for chip level? Maybe not after all.

After my most recent board involvement I'm convinced that power
distribution would become less problematic with power distributed to
small, chip-local islands. The small islands do help distribute the
decoupling caps over an area, affecting inter-cap resonance issues.

We've come a long way since the wire-wrap days of star configured
power and ground distribution. But little attention has been paid to
the science behind power distribution. There are tools that have
become available in recent years to help plan the power distribution
and avoid the troubles with plane resonance or interference between
capacitors. The tiny islands might be one of the better ways to go.
From: Kolja Sulimma on
On 25 Mrz., 02:10, Thomas Entner <thomas.ent...(a)entner-
electronics.com> wrote:

> 3. Shields of connectors, chassis ground
> Most PCBs have one or more connectors with shields (e.g. USB, RJ45,
> VGA, RS-232,...) Do you connect these directly to circuit-ground? Or
> with C and R in parallel? Or do you have some kind of "frame-ground"?
> Have you the mounting holes grounded to the chassis? All or just one?

The problem with this is, that for high frequencies and lower
frequencies different
setups work well.
That is why you find conflicting design guids for whether ground and
shield should
be connected and where they should be connected.

Kolja