From: Tim Perry on

"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>> Remember you will need to get EQ now as well. DEQ2496 is the only way to
>> go.
>>

> I swear that thing saves my bacon at every gig. I'm running a dirt cheap
> rig for drum amplification (drums usually are not in the mains), the DEQ
> lets me dial in a damn good sound in every room. Without it my rig would
> sound like a pile o' poo.
>
> Sean

One of mine has given me fatal errors on important (to me) shows. I am
trying heat sinks on the SHARC chips. I don't know if I can return it to
service with any degree of confidence.

From: Denny Strauser on
Tim Perry wrote:
> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>> Remember you will need to get EQ now as well. DEQ2496 is the only way to
>>> go.
>>>
>> I swear that thing saves my bacon at every gig. I'm running a dirt cheap
>> rig for drum amplification (drums usually are not in the mains), the DEQ
>> lets me dial in a damn good sound in every room. Without it my rig would
>> sound like a pile o' poo.
>>
> trying heat sinks on the SHARC chips. I don't know if I can return it to
> service with any degree of confidence.

This might be nice for a primary EQ, but guest engineers usually prefer
a graphic with faders for every frequency band. It can be slow operating
a digital graphic that you are not familiar with. When working with an
unfamiliar system, I like having 31 faders.

On the other hand, it might discourage less than competent engineers
from screwing up your "perfect" EQ. I like having a digital for
system/house EQ & analog for guests. Then when the guest is not mixing
or finished, it can be bypassed or flattened. The same can be
accomplished by saving & recalling curves, but many guest engineers will
prefer an analog to an unfamiliar digital.

- Denny
From: Sean Conolly on
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Tim Perry wrote:
>> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I swear that thing saves my bacon at every gig. I'm running a dirt cheap
>>> rig for drum amplification (drums usually are not in the mains), the DEQ
>>> lets me dial in a damn good sound in every room. Without it my rig would
>>> sound like a pile o' poo.
>>>
>> trying heat sinks on the SHARC chips. I don't know if I can return it to
>> service with any degree of confidence.
>
> This might be nice for a primary EQ, but guest engineers usually prefer a
> graphic with faders for every frequency band. It can be slow operating a
> digital graphic that you are not familiar with. When working with an
> unfamiliar system, I like having 31 faders.

It shouldn't take more 5 minutes to teach a competent engineer how to use
the graphic EQ in the DEQ. The fact that you can zero all bands with one
button, and then set up a bell curve of arbitray width with three knobs
(just like a para) makes it easy to set up what you need quickly. Or just
pull up one fader and then sweep it to make sure you're on the right
frequency. No, it will never be as fast as just grabbing a fader for
tweaking, but it is much faster for the initial setup.

> ... but many guest engineers will prefer an analog to an unfamiliar
> digital.

Very true, regardless of my points above.

Sean

From: Sean Conolly on
"Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message

> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>> Remember you will need to get EQ now as well. DEQ2496 is the only way to
>>> go.
>>>

>> I swear that thing saves my bacon at every gig. I'm running a dirt cheap
>> rig for drum amplification (drums usually are not in the mains), the DEQ
>> lets me dial in a damn good sound in every room. Without it my rig would
>> sound like a pile o' poo.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> One of mine has given me fatal errors on important (to me) shows. I am
> trying heat sinks on the SHARC chips. I don't know if I can return it to
> service with any degree of confidence.

This does happen to me from time to time, maybe one out of a hundred shows.
Mine is right above an overloaded power amp, which isn't good, but usually
the amp will overheat before the DEQ. I can live with it, but at my level
there's more tolerance for problems.

Sean

From: Ron Capik on
Sean Conolly wrote:
> "Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I swear that thing saves my bacon at every gig. I'm running a dirt cheap
>>> rig for drum amplification (drums usually are not in the mains), the DEQ
>>> lets me dial in a damn good sound in every room. Without it my rig would
>>> sound like a pile o' poo.
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>
>> One of mine has given me fatal errors on important (to me) shows. I am
>> trying heat sinks on the SHARC chips. I don't know if I can return it to
>> service with any degree of confidence.
>
> This does happen to me from time to time, maybe one out of a hundred shows.
> Mine is right above an overloaded power amp, which isn't good, but usually
> the amp will overheat before the DEQ. I can live with it, but at my level
> there's more tolerance for problems.
>
> Sean

I've owned a dozen or so DEQ2496's and have found
some are more heat sensitive than others. They
usually restart after a cool down, but once a unit
has overheated to the point of failure I tend to not
trust it. I always keep a backup unit on hand.
[YMMV]

Later...
Ron Capik
--