From: JD on
Leythos wrote:
> In article<mebf06tfv6orvjvgsfvuhpkn5v14t9rdp9(a)4ax.com>,
> geoff(a)invalid.invalid says...
>>
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:23:10 -0400, Leythos<spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article<h84e06tc03era6bm726j64lckjn1d5e9r6(a)4ax.com>,
>>> geoff(a)invalid.invalid says...

>>> Why would you doubt that MS is going to delete the groups from their
>>> servers? They said they would, so talking about how many have been
>>> removed from their servers is meaningless - what's important is that the
>>> Usenet community is not taking orders from MS.
>>
>> Wow, you are dense, aren't you? Where did I say I doubted it?
>>
>> The point is that just as argued to MEB in the "The End of m.p.s.v"
>> thread, MS is killing off NGs and will kill their servers as stated
>> but the rest of Usenet isn't. Sheesh.
>>
>> 1394 groups remain on MS's servers 300 gone now, no change on E-S, or
>> Easynews.
>
> Dense? You mean that understanding that MS is going to discontinue
> Usenet services from THEIR SERVERS and actually believing they will do
> it?
>
> MS is not killing "News Groups" (overly broad brush), they are killing
> their servers and the groups within THEIR SERVERS, the groups live on
> around the world on thousands of Usenet servers, since MS can't force
> anyone to stop carrying them.
>
> It's not like anyone expected MS to keep their own servers running after
> they said they would close them, so it really doesn't matter what or how
> quickly they remove groups from their servers.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to impart to you is that no-one cares how many
> groups are left on MS's own servers, they've made it clear that they
> will be gone in short order and there is no point in counting them
> daily.
>
> What would be important is if/when OTHER usenet providers stop carrying
> them.

I got no problem with somebody reporting how many groups are left on
MS's own servers. Like a countdown. 8-)

--
JD..
From: Geoff on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 12:29:40 -0500, JD <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>I got no problem with somebody reporting how many groups are left on
>MS's own servers. Like a countdown. 8-)

Thanks JD, it's nice to know there are at least 2 people out there who
get it. I don't think I will be posting daily counts but as I have
time and take the trouble to check I will post an occasional count
once they start cutting into the more popular groups. I know there are
a lot of MS-MVP types who continue to be disappointed at Microsoft's
discontinuation of Usenet.

It hasn't mattered much either way to me whether Microsoft had their
NNTP server up or not, getting a response from an actual Microsofty to
a technical question was rare. I expect it will be the same on the web
forums. It should be interesting from time to time to check the forums
and see how badly they get hit by the spam bots. :)
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message

> It's not like anyone expected MS to keep their own servers running
> after
> they said they would close them, so it really doesn't matter what or
> how
> quickly they remove groups from their servers.

....but in this group they posted:

"When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed."

There must be something in the conversion from GMT to Redmond California
Laid-back 'when we get around to it' time. :o)

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>

| "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message

>> It's not like anyone expected MS to keep their own servers running
>> after
>> they said they would close them, so it really doesn't matter what or
>> how
>> quickly they remove groups from their servers.

| ...but in this group they posted:

| "When will this Happen?
| Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed."

| There must be something in the conversion from GMT to Redmond California
| Laid-back 'when we get around to it' time. :o)

Nah...

ZULU 20101001 2359

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"JD" <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
[...]

> Maybe just a countdown? 8-)

Geoff can count down what is left, and David can count up what went
missing.

What fun we're having!!!

When will I have to resort to my Eternal-September account to post?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Trojan
Next: Help...I'm infected!!