From: John McWilliams on
My printer will not power up! Came back after a week away, and my Epson
R-300 will not power up at all. Left it uplugged overnight, for a
complete power reset, and still, nada. It hadn't been moved, and I am at
a loss as to what to try next.

Also guessing that any but the very simplest repair will be uneconomic,
and so, maybe resurrecting the Epson 740 for the low rez color things I
may want. (Under OSX, I guess I need to use CUPS.(?) )

Also had in the back of my mind a little home networkable laser printer
(B+W).......so maybe now is the time for that.

Any tips on the R300 power situation will be appreciated.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Al on
On Jan 5, 11:55 am, John McWilliams <jp...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> My printer will not power up! Came back after a week away, and my Epson
> R-300 will not power up at all. Left it uplugged overnight, for a
> complete power reset, and still, nada. It hadn't been moved, and I am at
> a loss as to what to try next.
>
> Also guessing that any but the very simplest repair will be uneconomic,
> and so, maybe resurrecting the Epson 740 for the low rez color things I
> may want.  (Under OSX, I guess I need to use CUPS.(?) )
>
> Also had in the back of my mind a little home networkable laser printer
> (B+W).......so maybe now is the time for that.
>
> Any tips on the R300 power situation will be appreciated.
>
> --
> john mcwilliams

When you say it won't power up, I assume you mean that there is not
indication of power getting to the printer at all (no lights or noise
of any kind). Check the outlet to make sure power it there. Wiggle the
cord at the socket end and the printer end as those are the most
likely places for a broken internal cord connection. If all that
checks out then the problem is likely the power supply inside the
printer. Some have fuses and some fuses are soldered into the board.
If you are not into this stuff beyond this point, go shopping.

PS. Leaving the machine unplugged all night has absolutely zero effect
beyond the first thirty seconds.
I'm not sure you would go with this but it would be interesting to
have a volt-ohm meter across the plug end while hitting the start
button on the printer. A momentary blip would suggest another
electronic problem on the circuit board beyond the power supply. (not
plugged into an outlet of course)
From: John McWilliams on
Al wrote:
> On Jan 5, 11:55 am, John McWilliams <jp...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> My printer will not power up! Came back after a week away, and my Epson
>> R-300 will not power up at all. Left it uplugged overnight, for a
>> complete power reset, and still, nada. It hadn't been moved, and I am at
>> a loss as to what to try next.
>>
>> Also guessing that any but the very simplest repair will be uneconomic,
>> and so, maybe resurrecting the Epson 740 for the low rez color things I
>> may want. (Under OSX, I guess I need to use CUPS.(?) )
>>
>> Also had in the back of my mind a little home networkable laser printer
>> (B+W).......so maybe now is the time for that.
>>
>> Any tips on the R300 power situation will be appreciated.

> When you say it won't power up, I assume you mean that there is not
> indication of power getting to the printer at all (no lights or noise
> of any kind). Check the outlet to make sure power it there. Wiggle the
> cord at the socket end and the printer end as those are the most
> likely places for a broken internal cord connection. If all that
> checks out then the problem is likely the power supply inside the
> printer. Some have fuses and some fuses are soldered into the board.
> If you are not into this stuff beyond this point, go shopping.

Having plugged and wiggled extensively before I posted, I am convinced
this is internal, though I haven't yet broken out the phillips head. I
was hoping someone might have direct experience.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Neil Turkenkopf on

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
| Al wrote:
| > On Jan 5, 11:55 am, John McWilliams <jp...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
| >> My printer will not power up! Came back after a week away, and my Epson
| >> R-300 will not power up at all. Left it uplugged overnight, for a
| >> complete power reset, and still, nada. It hadn't been moved, and I am
at
| >> a loss as to what to try next.
| >>
| >> Also guessing that any but the very simplest repair will be uneconomic,
| >> and so, maybe resurrecting the Epson 740 for the low rez color things I
| >> may want. (Under OSX, I guess I need to use CUPS.(?) )
| >>
| >> Also had in the back of my mind a little home networkable laser printer
| >> (B+W).......so maybe now is the time for that.
| >>
| >> Any tips on the R300 power situation will be appreciated.
|

| > When you say it won't power up, I assume you mean that there is not
| > indication of power getting to the printer at all (no lights or noise
| > of any kind). Check the outlet to make sure power it there. Wiggle the
| > cord at the socket end and the printer end as those are the most
| > likely places for a broken internal cord connection. If all that
| > checks out then the problem is likely the power supply inside the
| > printer. Some have fuses and some fuses are soldered into the board.
| > If you are not into this stuff beyond this point, go shopping.
|
| Having plugged and wiggled extensively before I posted, I am convinced
| this is internal, though I haven't yet broken out the phillips head. I
| was hoping someone might have direct experience.
|
| --
| john mcwilliams

Sorry if this seems silly, but a similar thing happened to me once after a
power outage.
After trying many things, I finally tried pushing the power button and
*holding it down* for a few seconds... eureka!

Hope this helps!
Neil :-)

From: John McWilliams on
Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> | Al wrote:
> at

> | > When you say it won't power up, I assume you mean that there is not
> | > indication of power getting to the printer at all (no lights or noise
> | > of any kind). Check the outlet to make sure power it there. Wiggle the
> | > cord at the socket end and the printer end as those are the most
> | > likely places for a broken internal cord connection. If all that
> | > checks out then the problem is likely the power supply inside the
> | > printer. Some have fuses and some fuses are soldered into the board.
> | > If you are not into this stuff beyond this point, go shopping.
> |
> | Having plugged and wiggled extensively before I posted, I am convinced
> | this is internal, though I haven't yet broken out the phillips head. I
> | was hoping someone might have direct experience.

> Sorry if this seems silly, but a similar thing happened to me once after a
> power outage.
> After trying many things, I finally tried pushing the power button and
> *holding it down* for a few seconds... eureka!
>
> Hope this helps!

Thanks, Neil, but I've held down for various lengths of times, pushed
extra firmly others, held down in combo with other, but I am sure now
it's the power supply itself, and so I need to decide if I go inside, or
send it to the recycle bin.

--
John McWilliams