From: John Brock on
My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
$200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
what would be the best choice?
--
John Brock
jbrock(a)panix.com

From: TaliesinSoft on
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
<hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>):

> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac for
> Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by Snow Leopard
> -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations for a new printer.
>
> We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
> multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above all.
> We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges by herself!
> Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good OS X support, and
> not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under $200 certainly, and
> under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria, what would be the best
> choice?

I have two Canon MP-470 printers and they have performed flawlessly for
several years. I believe Canon now markets what is essentially an
updated/improved version. The MP-470 is a combination printer, scanner, and
copier. It uses two easily replaced ink cartridges, one black and one color.
The printer can be purchased for around $100. I'm using Snow Leopard without
anyl printer problems.

--
James Leo Ryan --- Austin, Texas --- taliesinsoft(a)me.com

From: nospam on
In article <hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>, John Brock
<jbrock(a)panix.com> wrote:

> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
> for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
> Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
> for a new printer.
>
> We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
> multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
> all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
> by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
> OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
> $200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
> what would be the best choice?

pretty much any printer you'll find in a store is fine, however, the
ink will be expensive no matter what you get. that's how they make
money. you can sometimes buy a replacement printer with ink for *less*
than just buying ink for an existing printer. also, stay away from
cheap generic knock off inks since they tend to clog.
From: John McWilliams on
TaliesinSoft wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
> <hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>):
>
>> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac for
>> Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by Snow Leopard
>> -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations for a new printer.
>>
>> We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
>> multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above all.
>> We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges by herself!
>> Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good OS X support, and
>> not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under $200 certainly, and
>> under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria, what would be the best
>> choice?
>
> I have two Canon MP-470 printers and they have performed flawlessly for
> several years. I believe Canon now markets what is essentially an
> updated/improved version. The MP-470 is a combination printer, scanner, and
> copier. It uses two easily replaced ink cartridges, one black and one color.
> The printer can be purchased for around $100. I'm using Snow Leopard without
> anyl printer problems.

.....But that's Multi function, which I'd also avoid for my Mom were I
getting one for her.

Pretty much Epson or Canon in my experience, but printer models change
so rapidly I don't know what to suggest for a specific model, esp how
easy it is or isn't to change carts.

My Mac store stopped putting printers out for a while now, but Office
Max/Depot usually has a shelf or two of them. There you could see for
yourself the access process.

==
--
john mcwilliams
From: David on
jbrock(a)panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
> for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
> Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
> for a new printer.
>
> We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
> multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
> all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
> by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
> OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
> $200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
> what would be the best choice?

Any of the HP or Canons in basic form should do the trick - certainly
avoid Epson (even though they do print nicely) as she will be forever
cleaning heads.

With HP (I have had 4 of them over the past 15 years) they just sit
there until you want to print, then they print. No trouble no fuss.

Re cost of ink - generally the cheaper printers tend to be harder on ink
than the more expensive units, but that is not such a problem unless you
(or her) are going to do a lot of printing.

One big advantage of the HP and Canon is that cartridges are available
at most department stores and at post offices.

Cheers

David
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11