From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:23:11 GMT, David
<postings(a)REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com> wrote:

>Re cost of ink - generally the cheaper printers tend to be harder on ink
>than the more expensive units, but that is not such a problem unless you
>(or her) are going to do a lot of printing.

Not printing enough can dry out cartridges and be expensive as well.

- James Madison
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <m6uuj5pm7au63l5n062pqqa8j62jffr44e(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:23:11 GMT, David
> <postings(a)REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com> wrote:
>
> >Re cost of ink - generally the cheaper printers tend to be harder on ink
> >than the more expensive units, but that is not such a problem unless you
> >(or her) are going to do a lot of printing.
>
> Not printing enough can dry out cartridges and be expensive as well.

On cheaper, lower-quality printers, definitely.

I sometimes don't print anything for a couple months on my Canon PIXMA
printer, and it prints just as well today as the day I bought it back in
2005.

JR
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:30:02 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>Brother. Hands down.

A decade or two ago I went to a user group, and someone demonstrated
his Brother printer. As he carried the big thing in, he said it was
heavy, to which two different wags in the audience gave the obvious
reply.

- James Madison
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <qvtuj5psc5dd64nrn05f4tg5ogcjaqp70t(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> I thought most all computers work simply and automatically. But my
> mother's in her 80s and has had several computers (with several
> versions of Windows), and most every time I visit her, I have to get
> it working again for her.
>
> It's not the OS, it's not the printer, and she objects vigorously to
> any implication that it's her.

I have to question your assertion that it's not Windows. : )

JR
From: erilar on
In article <hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>,
jbrock(a)panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
> for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
> Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
> for a new printer.

That was a lovely printer. Mine lasted over a decade of sometimes
fairly heavy use until the day it died between two print jobs. I went
out and bought a new Epson, but this one is the Artisan 710. I wanted
foto quality prints and this one delivers. I was startled to discover
how cheap these things have become, since it's a scanner, too. It's
nice being able to print from my laptop instead of sending print jobs
over to the OS 9 G4 for printing now, too. I also like the flat top,
which the digital picture frame I got for Christmas can sit on when I'm
not scanning 8-) It has 5 color and a black ink cartridge, but they're
as easy or easier to change than the ones in the 740. It may be more
than you want for your mother, but I love it!

Oh, and I'm a great-grandmother 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300