From: Jonathan L. Parker on
erilar wrote:

> I don't know what Gutenprint is, but I do know Epson didn't update the
> drivers for that printer when they updated everything else.

Gutenprint is the open-source printing system that's been incorporated
into the Mac OS since I don't know when. (I've only been a Mac OS user
since 10.4.8.) It includes dozens, perhaps hundreds, of drivers for
legacy printers such as the one that sparked this thread. If you try to
add a printer through System Preferences without installing any
additional software from the manufacturer, the driver (if you find one)
listed there will be a Gutenprint driver.

I just mentioned this to advise the original poster that even though
Epson didn't update *its* driver for his mother's printer past OS 9,
it's likely still possible that she can keep using it with Snow Leopard,
if she or her loving offspring are willing to work a little bit.

From: nospam on
In article <hho64m02e40(a)news3.newsguy.com>, J.J. O'Shea
<try.not.to(a)but.see.sig> wrote:

> > yes. if you turn off the printer when not in use, the heads park on a
> > sponge so they don't dry out.
>
> Except that sometimes the sponge gets hard as a rock and then it doesn't do
> squat. I'm talking actual real-world experience, here, not theory based on
> vendor PR.

so am i.

> > i've never seen printer ink sold in a post office,
>
> the office on Haverhill, for one.

the post offices i've been in at best, have envelopes, boxes, tape,
etc. i did see a post office with a snack bar in montana once though.
even the fed ex depot that are part of a kinkos don't sell ink but they
do sell fancy paper. maybe it's a regional thing.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <020120101051289128%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > they don't clog in normal use.
> >
> > Wanna bet on that?
>
> yes. if you turn off the printer when not in use, the heads park on a
> sponge so they don't dry out. of course, if you buy cheap ink or leave
> the printer on all the time, then it might clog, but that's not how
> it's supposed to be used.

LOL... Except that's not the real-world experience of tons of Epson
users.

JR
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:53:03 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com>
wrote:

>In contrast, I have a five-year-old Canon PIXMA printer on which I have
>*never* had to clean the heads; it prints just as good today as the day
>I purchased it!

Useful information to remember. Can I just remember Canon, or is
there something different about PIXMA printers?

- James Madison
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <0001HW.C764EC260001F7CDB02A89BF(a)News.Individual.NET>,
TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:30:11 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote (in article
> <jollyroger-6E5BBD.10301102012010(a)news.individual.net>):
>
> [commenting on Canon printers having ink clogging and becoming useless]

Actually, I was referring to Epson, due to this statement:

---
In article <010120102230106163%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <postings-A1200E.16225102012010(a)news.bigpond.com>, David
> <postings(a)REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com> wrote:
>
> > certainly avoid Epson (even though they do print nicely) as she
> > will be forever cleaning heads.
>
> they don't clog in normal use.
---

> > Ahem. Excuse me, but bullshit. I and my family have had several of them
> > clog up and die within one or two years, rendering them completely useless.
>
> I've been using two Canon MP-470s for a few years now and have never
> experienced a serious clogging problem. On a few occasions I did run the head
> cleaning option when there was some skipping in the printout. The head
> cleaning cured the problem.

I have never owned a Canon that has clogged. I consider Canon's prosumer
printers to be better than the others by a wide margin.

JR
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300