From: heiko recktenwald on
Jan Alter schrieb:
> "heiko recktenwald" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Jan Alter schrieb:
>>> From my perspective the only thing that will turn things around is
>>> consumer revolution to enjoin legislation, making it easier for the user
>>> refill cartidges and end this costly waste of materials, money, and greed
>>> on
>>> both Epson's and the other printer makers.
>> But what choice do consumers have today? Except letters to DC or legal
>> action. Where is EFF? ;-)
>>

> Clearly the mass of consumers are not riled up enough to do much. Once
> and awhile I'll hear of Staples offering to give incentives for returning
> empty inkjet cartridges to them for recycling. Barely a handful of people
> are writing to their legislatures from what I see and hear on the news. I
> haven't read anything in Consumer Reports about the interest, except vaguely
> to refill cartridges, and then that continues with more ignorance from CR,
> saying that using OEM is probably the better choice since filled cartridges
> may not last as long, the ink may not be as 'high quality'. The same goes
> from them for using third party cartridges.
> Despite the fact that the masses are using millions of these printers
> there is no momentum at this point to bring the issue to equal getting rid
> of plastic bags, or driving smaller cars, or wearing a sweater in the house
> on a cold day to cut out the waste.

Thanks for the discussion! Vertical integration and unbundling were the
buzzwords for me. It is a limitation of competion when consumers are
forced to buy the cartridges from the manufacturer of the printer. This
is pretty easy to understand IMHO.

Manufacturers may be free to design their printers however they want,
but this is no argument for chips that prevent third party manufacturers
from offering their alternatives to the manufacturers cartridges.

What can we expect from a gouvernement that is not even capable to care
about pollution of rivers etc? Something like EFF-action is necessary,
where is Ralph Nader? The laws are there IMHO.

H.
From: AES on
In article <isw-A30442.23190901012010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> If you can avoid color, an inexpensive laser printer is a far better
> choice than any inkjet.

Absolutely right!
From: erilar on
In article <siegman-5BF98A.09010904012010(a)news.stanford.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <isw-A30442.23190901012010@[216.168.3.50]>,
> isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:
>

> > If you can avoid color, an inexpensive laser printer is a far better
> > choice than any inkjet.

> Absolutely right!

For personal use, however, most people want color from time to time.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
From: TJ on
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Absolutely right!
>> For personal use, however, most people want color from time to time.
>
> Do the math and figure out that it's way easier and cheaper to head to
> Kinko's for those "now and then" times.

I find it fascinating just how many people believe the only reason one
might want a color printer is to print a photo.

My color printing costs are negligible, but then my needs are modest. I
print few photos, yet I do use color from time to time. I prefer older
printers, mostly because they have bigger ink tanks. I have two HP
printers, both of which use the same #56 and #57 carts. One of them, an
Officejet 6110, was purchased used on Ebay for $70 about 18 months ago.
Being an office machine, it feels like it's built like a tank. It
replaced a home-user-type all-in-one that failed because of the scanner
bulb. My other printer is a Deskjet 5650 that I picked up for "free"
because it needed a power supply brick. $15, again on Ebay, took care of
that. That one's been running about 30 months.

Since the printers are well past any warranty, I don't worry about
invalidating one. I'm not worried about service costs, either. Any
service I might get would be far more expensive than a replacement. I
buy bulk ink and refill my own carts. The black ones seem to get more
refills than the tri-colors, but each will refill at least a dozen times
before it needs to be replaced. I have gone as many as 24 refills on a
single cart before now. Because the printhead is built into the
cartridge, I get a new one every time I replace a cart, and if one clogs
so that I can't open it up, I just replace it. I've found that the best
deal for replacement carts is by buying yet again on Ebay, being sure to
get slightly "expired" factory-sealed ones.

But will they work with Snow Leopard? I haven't the slightest idea. But
I can tell you that HP enjoys what is arguably *the* best Linux support
of any printer manufacturer. I can't imagine them supporting Linux and
*not* supporting Mac.

TJ
From: John McWilliams on
erilar wrote:
> In article <020120101623003312%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> True, while they are in use - but leave them sitting for a week and you
>>> have to clean the heads.
>> did you turn the printer off after using it, or was it on the entire
>> week? when off, the heads park on a waste pad, effectively sealing
>> them. if you left it on, then you probably will get a clog.
>
> Maybe that's one reason mine behaved so well for so long. I turn off
> the power strips all my computer-related equipment is plugged into
> before going away or going to bed. 2 clicks is so much easier than
> remembering to turn off odds and ends and probably saves a kilowatt now
> and then.

I do believe, though, that this technique is now counter productive.
(see post upthread.)

--
john mcwilliams
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last