From: nospam on
In article
<478456d8-3e95-4ada-b381-e6a040192b97(a)z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
<"kiromark(a)aol.com"> wrote:

> Personally, I prefer the Epson and Canon for printing photographs (I
> also use a photo 1400) and flyers (I do a lot of that) because of
> sharper colors and better balance. I use the HP mainly to copy and
> print forms (it's faster).

good choices.

> I think one should use the right tool for
> the task, and not be limited by brand loyalty.

exactly.
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:44:18 -0500, Adam <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:

>Howard Brazee wrote:
>> I wouldn't mind seeing a requirement for computers and other
>> electronic devices listing their power consumption when on standby or
>> when "off".
>
>If you're in the USA, there's a handy device called a "Kill-A-Watt"
>(about $20 from NewEgg or elsewhere) that measures both instantaneous
>and cumulative power consumption of whatever's plugged into it (max
>1500W). I checked out a few things when they were on standby, and
>sometimes it took over 24 hours for the kWh used to get up to 0.01 kWh.
>
>Adam

Sounds useful, but not as useful as knowing these figures before I buy
stuff.

- James Madison
From: Adam on
Howard Brazee wrote:
>> If you're in the USA, there's a handy device called a "Kill-A-Watt"
>> (about $20 from NewEgg or elsewhere) that measures both instantaneous
>> and cumulative power consumption of whatever's plugged into it (max
>> 1500W). I checked out a few things when they were on standby, and
>> sometimes it took over 24 hours for the kWh used to get up to 0.01 kWh.
>
> Sounds useful, but not as useful as knowing these figures before I buy
> stuff.

Yes, that is quite true.

I have all of my (home) computer system plugged into a power strip so
when that's switched off, power consumption is zero. If it's any help,
I used my Kill-A-Watt to measure "switched off" power consumption, and
most things were way under 10 kWh per year. I consider that negligible,
although that's a matter of opinion. The only real exception was an
antique (1996) color laser printer.

Adam
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:55:22 -0500, Adam <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:

>> Sounds useful, but not as useful as knowing these figures before I buy
>> stuff.
>
>Yes, that is quite true.
>
>I have all of my (home) computer system plugged into a power strip so
>when that's switched off, power consumption is zero. If it's any help,
>I used my Kill-A-Watt to measure "switched off" power consumption, and
>most things were way under 10 kWh per year. I consider that negligible,
>although that's a matter of opinion. The only real exception was an
>antique (1996) color laser printer.

I'd like computer companies to have an incentive to use less power
while in stand-by mode now that it is so common for people to dial
into their work computer.

I think rechargers could be smarter. I've read that power supplies
could easily and cheaply be smarter.

- James Madison
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <020120101929234343%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-3F7BD6.21101202012010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Google shows 202,000 hits for the search term "epson clogged nozzles".
> > So realistically, we're talking about a sample size of a much greater
> > number. ; )
>
> that doesn't prove anything. nevertheless, google shows 233,000 hits
> for canon clogged nozzles and 337,000 for hp clogged nozzles, so by
> your metric, epsons clog the least.

LOL! Touche, touche...

JR
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300