From: John McWilliams on
Ronnie Lee wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C76428F30009B3D3B02A89BF(a)News.Individual.NET>,
> TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
>> <hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>):
>>
>>> My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac for
>>> Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by Snow Leopard
>>> -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations for a new printer.
>>>
>>> We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
>>> multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above all.
>>> We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges by herself!
>>> Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good OS X support, and
>>> not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under $200 certainly, and
>>> under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria, what would be the best
>>> choice?
>
> If you should decide on a laser printer Newegg has recertified Brother
> models HL-2140 (USB connection) & Hl-2170w (USB, wired ethernet &
> wireless) for $89.99 and $99.99 respectively, both with $30 rebates if
> purchased before 3/31/09.

'10?

Do you have said machine? how many pages before you have to buy a new
toner cart.?

--
john mcwilliams
From: Ronnie Lee on
In article <hhog1c$jl3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Ronnie Lee wrote:
> > In article <0001HW.C76428F30009B3D3B02A89BF(a)News.Individual.NET>,
> > TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
> >> <hhmi2e$3tc$1(a)reader1.panix.com>):

> > If you should decide on a laser printer Newegg has recertified Brother
> > models HL-2140 (USB connection) & Hl-2170w (USB, wired ethernet &
> > wireless) for $89.99 and $99.99 respectively, both with $30 rebates if
> > purchased before 3/31/09.
>
> '10?
>
> Do you have said machine? how many pages before you have to buy a new
> toner cart.?

I just received the HL-2170W on 12/29/09. Time from out of box to
working on a wired ethernet network was about 20 minutes for two
computers. The manual says the starter toner cart prints 1000 pages. New
carts are 1500 page standard or 2600 page high yield.

From what I have seen they are not overly expensive. So far I am happy
with my choice.
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-3A773B.15580802012010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> I never said anything close to "it happens to everyone". It was *you*
> who said Epson printers never clog in normal use. That's simply not the
> case.

it is the case.

> They sell well because they are cheap. Quality has little to do with it.

quality has everything to do with it. epson printers produce
outstanding photo quality and are typically the preferred printer for
photographers. their pigment inks last much longer than dye based inks.

and as for cheap, here's one for $2000-$2500, depending on
configuration:

<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusPro4880/Overview.
do>

or get one for $8-10k, depending on paper width:
<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusPro79009900efi/O
verview.do>

there's a lot more to epson than the dinky $49 model that's on sale.

> Of course both your and my statements are subjective and meaningless
> without real-life data.

there's plenty of real life data. go attend a photo trade show and see
which printers are being used. talk to people who actually use the
printers daily, not soccer moms who prints a letter once a month,
forgets to turn off the printer and wonders why it's clogged.

> > you are going to have to accept the fact that your experience is not
> > universal, and that a *lot* of people have don't have any problems with
> > epson printers.
>
> Tell you what: I'll agree that a lot of people may not have problems
> with Epson inkjet printers if you agree that a lot of people *do* have
> problems with Epson inkjet printers. Otherwise, we can just agree to
> disagree. : )

some might have problems, but where we disagree is the cause.
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-C4E8DB.15452502012010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > I got great photographic quality from my Epson Stylus 740 for over a
> > decade and very seldom had occasion to clean the heads. It printed as
> > well 10 years after I purchased it as the day I bought it. I hope the
> > new one lasts as well. It prints even better.
>
> Your is certainly not the experience of most people I know who had the
> misfortune of buying Epson printers. I've seen several end up in the
> junk pile from malfunctioning print heads.

straw man. nobody said epson printers are perfect and never fail.

did you inquire *why* the print heads malfunctioned? maybe the user did
something stupid, like run the ink cartridge dry, which *will* damage
the heads.

epson is the preferred printer for most photographers, with canon a
close second. there is a *tremendous* amount of aftermarket support for
epson, including continuous ink systems.

and the 740 did produce decent photos, although it was not actually a
photo printer.

> > > In contrast, I have a five-year-old Canon PIXMA printer on which I have
> > > *never* had to clean the heads; it prints just as good today as the day
> > > I purchased it!
> >
> > Wow! Half as old as my old Epson! Somehow I'm not terribly impressed.
>
> I'm quite sure it will outlast your cheap-o Epson. ; )

who cares. new printers often cost less than buying ink for an older
printer. technology changes too. today's printers are much better than
ones even a couple of years ago. and if you have to resort to comments
such as 'cheap-o' your argument holds little water (or is it ink?).

> > How expensive is ITS ink?
>
> Comparing the cost of an ink cartridge isn't going to tell you much,
> because it doesn't factor in how much ink is contained in the cartridge
> or how fast the ink is consumed by the printer.

so add in the pages per cartridge. the calculation is still simple.

> > How's ITS print quality?
>
> Far, far better than your Epson Stylus 740, buddy. And much faster as
> well. Also it prints 13" x 19" borderless photos. : )

evidence? let's see some colour gamut graphs or other tests. or is it
better because you say so? and epson has supported borderless for a
very, very long time.
From: David on
In article <elmop-3BC6C8.05314502012010(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> Also, I would consider a wireless network printer that allows her to put
> it anywhere, and allows the friends/family to hook to it without effort
> when they come over.

One advantage my Wireless HP printer/scanner has apart from the absence
of cables is that I can print directly from my iPhone. Very handy.

David
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300