From: TJ on
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <hhuctv$sqe$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
>
>> I find it fascinating just how many people believe the only reason one
>> might want a color printer is to print a photo.
>
> If the cost and complexity and the problems of drying out/clogging up
> are all part and parcel of owning an inkjet, and if we're talking
> Grandma three states away, then what OTHER color printing does Grandma
> need that's worth the hassle?
>
> Notice I said "need", not "want".

Good question, and one only the OP or Grandma can answer. But after
having lived together with a few near-80-year-olds in my time (parents
and grandparents), I can tell you that "wants" can be as important to
their well-being as "needs."

TJ
From: erilar on
In article <elmop-204ED0.20270604012010(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> > > Absolutely right!
> >
> > For personal use, however, most people want color from time to time.
>
> Do the math and figure out that it's way easier and cheaper to head to
> Kinko's for those "now and then" times.

Not if there IS no Kinko's within 50 miles 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
From: John Brock on
In article <hhvalo$dbr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <hhuctv$sqe$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

>>> I find it fascinating just how many people believe the only reason one
>>> might want a color printer is to print a photo.

>> If the cost and complexity and the problems of drying out/clogging up
>> are all part and parcel of owning an inkjet, and if we're talking
>> Grandma three states away, then what OTHER color printing does Grandma
>> need that's worth the hassle?
>>
>> Notice I said "need", not "want".

>Good question, and one only the OP or Grandma can answer. But after
>having lived together with a few near-80-year-olds in my time (parents
>and grandparents), I can tell you that "wants" can be as important to
>their well-being as "needs."

FWIW, as the OP, I can say that color printing was a requirement.

My mother may not use the printer very often, but when she does
the output is often adorned with little butterflies and flowers
and balloons, which would tend to lose something in black and white,
but which aren't really worth a trip to Kinko's. (Especially not
at her age).
--
John Brock
jbrock(a)panix.com

From: John Smith on
> If the cost and complexity and the problems of drying out/clogging up
> are all part and parcel of owning an inkjet, and if we're talking
> Grandma three states away, then what OTHER color printing does Grandma
> need that's worth the hassle?
>
> Notice I said "need", not "want".

Yeah, you're right. All a Grandma *needs* is shelter, clean water and
some food. And maybe a heater, depending where she's living. Everything
else is luxury.

So the easiest would be to just remove the computer. No computer, no
printer hassle. After all, she doesn't *need* a computer, does she?
From: AES on
In article <1jbor49.udq2fjj6xv26N%thewildrover(a)me.com>,
thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> I think without doubt I'd go for the Canon Pixma range. They are 'photo'
> printers, and maybe cost a little more than the average, but I've had
> two now, and very happy with them (currently using an iP4500).

Depends on what you want. Just unpacked and put into operation a PIXMA
MX860 multi-function unit for someone else: about a 3 hour job (and I'm
not a novice). Mac installation instructions are 37 pages long; eight
or nine doors and flaps on the thing; 5 ink tanks to unwrap (touchy
task) and install; multiple alignment routines to go through;
accidentally bump one of the 40+ buttons on the lid while opening it and
the installation software gets all screwed up; have to USB cable it to
install the software, even if you're going to use it via wireless; and
so on.

Got it all working OK eventually -- but politely declined in advance to
ever have anything to do with it again, if it runs into problems.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300