From: Jolly Roger on
In article <drache-792B24.18191902012010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-C4E8DB.15452502012010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm quite sure it will outlast your cheap-o Epson. ; )
>
> Let me know when it passes 11 years.

I'll try to remember to do that.

JR
From: John McWilliams on
nospam wrote:
> In article <jollyroger-F46EFC.19294402012010(a)news.individual.net>,

<< Snipped bits out >>

> normally, they don't clog. sometimes they do, and it typically happens
> when people do things like forget to turn off the printer, use it in
> very humid weather, use cheap ink, etc.

Now the above used to be Gospel, but I do believe it's recommended to
leave the printer powered, as newer Epson printers do park the heads
when not printing. Leaving it powered will prevent ink waste which
happens on every power up, as it pushes ink out all orifices, so to
speak, doing a type of cleaning cycle.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Jan Alter on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <jollyroger-F46EFC.19294402012010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>

> normally, they don't clog. sometimes they do, and it typically happens
> when people do things like forget to turn off the printer, use it in
> very humid weather, use cheap ink, etc.

In reference to an Epson clogging in humid weather I have found it to be
completely opposite. Moisture will help to keep the heads from drying out.
As a matter of practice when the teachers at my school packed up more than
60 Epson printers for the summer in plastic bags to store them for ten weeks
I would always recommend they place a dampened sponge in the bag (not in the
printer) to help keep humidity levels high. On return in September the
printers would all work, and I used this routine for ten years, 'til I
retired in '08.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Jan Alter on

> But getting back to the Epson Stylus 740 - I was a bit sad when it broke
> down. It was one hell of a workhorse! So reliable I could hardly believe
> it. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my hardware.
>
> Anyone here had one last longer than I did (nine years)?
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

The school I worked at in Philadelphia still has about twenty 740 Epsons
running since 1999, when I first ordered thirty-five of them . These
machines were real workhorses. The biggest problem maintaining them was
after 3 or 4 years I needed to grease the head travel bar with a little
3-'n-1 oil every 6 months. Over the ten year period I used only 3rd party
inks for all the printers with excellent results. Clogging would occur if
the printer was left on for a week or more without printing or a couple of
weeks off without printing. I discovered Epsons work best when they were
used.
Around 2002 I started ordering the Epson 880. It turned out to be a much
finer printer than the 740. It printed faster, quieter, at a higher dpi and
didn't need oiling of the head travel bar after three or more years use.
What was even more wonderful was that both the 740 and 880 used cheap third
party cartridges that ran the school about $8 a set for black and color.The
Epson 740 and the 880 were the best all-around printers Epson ever made for
durability and longevity from my experience. Additionally we used the C80,
C82, C84, and C88 models. By the time I'd retired we had some 80 printers
running in the school.
Today Epson certainly makes much better photo producing printers for
the general consumer, but hardware-wise they've turned them into disposable
units and now Epson makes its profit on ink,(as do the other printer
companies) doing everything it can to thwart the user from refilling
cartridges by using chips on them as well as the consumer using third party
cartridges by changing the firmware on the same model printer along its
course of production so the printer won't recognize cartridges with older
chips.
Epson has become extremely environmentally unfriendly in its throw away
mentality for both the printers that are poorly made in comparison to their
ten year old models and the enormous amount of cartridges that all join the
landfills.
From my perspective the only thing that will turn things around is
consumer revolution to enjoin legislation, making it easier for the user to
refill cartidges and end this costly waste of materials, money, and greed on
both Epson's and the other printer makers.
--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: heiko recktenwald on
Jan Alter schrieb:
> From my perspective the only thing that will turn things around is
> consumer revolution to enjoin legislation, making it easier for the user to
> refill cartidges and end this costly waste of materials, money, and greed on
> both Epson's and the other printer makers.

But what choice do consumers have today? Except letters to DC or legal
action. Where is EFF? ;-)

H.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters