From: erilar on
In article <hhnmau$1r5k$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
"Jonathan L. Parker" <jlparker001(a)GOAWAYSPAMMERsbcglobal.net> wrote:

> John Brock wrote:
> > My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
> > for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
> > Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
> > for a new printer.
>
> Are you sure about that non-support? I'm still using 10.4.11 so I can't
> speak directly with regard to Snow Leopard, but I can tell you that
> Gutenprint *does* have a driver for this printer, and my version
> includes it. Unless Mom lives a long way off and all of you have
> already gone home after the holidays, you might want to take a crack at
> setting it up for her. If nothing else, it could serve as a backup
> option in case the new printer you'll *still* probably end up buying for
> her ever goes on the fritz.

I don't know what Gutenprint is, but I do know Epson didn't update the
drivers for that printer when they updated everything else. My scanner
was just as old and didn't even have a USB connection, so it had to stay
connected to the old computer anyway. The G4 can read ANYthing 8-) My
lovely new laptop only has USB and Firewire ports.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
From: erilar on
In article <hhng4u09un(a)news6.newsguy.com>,
J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to(a)but.see.sig> wrote:

> If you _must_ go with a stand-alone inkjet, check out Epson or Canon. Stay
> far away from HP, and further away from Lexmark. If you can live with a MFD,
> add Brother to Epson and Canon.

My Epson Artisan 710 even gives me good color images on ordinary paper,
is easy to load, and the cartridges that came with it, though low now,
have done a LOT of printing, including quite a few for my foto album,
since I got it. It came with an extra black ink. It's also a scanner,
but it's not REQUIRED that you scan things if you don't want to 8-) I'm
certainly not going to try to fax anything, since it's not connected to
a phone 8-) For foto printing, you can stick a memory card into it
directly. It does other stuff, too. AND it's under $200, even if over
$100.

From: erilar on
In article <elmop-3BC6C8.05314502012010(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> Probably not--Brother's Mac support is incredibly good.

That's all very well, but why force her to use something entirely new
when she's used to an Epson? My twin to hers lasted me over a decade,
printing excellent fotos.

> Also, I would consider a wireless network printer that allows her to put
> it anywhere, and allows the friends/family to hook to it without effort
> when they come over.

My Epson Artisan 710 is only plugged into the power strip. It has wi-fi
or Ethernet capability as well as direct connection. I use the wireless
connection.

And, to repeat once more, I'm a long way from young myself.

From: erilar on
In article <postings-A1200E.16225102012010(a)news.bigpond.com>,
David <postings(a)REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com> wrote:

> Any of the HP or Canons in basic form should do the trick - certainly
> avoid Epson (even though they do print nicely) as she will be forever
> cleaning heads.

Big deal. Cleaning the print heads is a simple "chick here" operation
she must already know from owning the Epson 740.

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <elmop-60CCA2.12391902012010(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-76EF6F.10281402012010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > > Brother. Hands down.
> >
> > You've got to be kidding me. Their software flat-out sucks!
>
> Their Mac software is superb.

Not in my experience, it isn't.

JR
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: OKI 5800 Reset counters
Next: Epson R-300