From: Han on
spam(a)uce.gov (Citizen Bob) wrote in news:46029532.2332250(a)news-
server.houston.rr.com:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:31:39 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:
>
>>There is a way to go back to old-fashioned > quoting,
>
> Do you know how?
>
>>> As you can see I have to RTFM.
>
>>YES, do read!
>
> I did and now things are a lot clearer.
>
> I used to be able to click on a little pencil and clear the fancy text
> back to normal, but I can't find it in 7.1. How do I clear fancy text?
>
> --
>
> Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)!
> Primary Cause of Global Warming!
>
> The DHMO Institute
> Houston, Texas
>
> http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/dhmo.html

Once you have opened an email there the pencil icon is for me between the
trash and the blah blah blah button

--
Best regards
Han
From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:49:32 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

[re Task Status window, now in v7.1 rather than v3.0]

> Although I can live with it at the bottom...

You can move it wherever you want, and re-size when not docked
(uncheck "Allow docking" to prevent re-sticking to window edges)

I also move the "tabs" to top or bottom, making larger tabs
with visible text labels, and giving more room to widen window,
to read the vastly entertaining messages which flash by :)

> I would prefer it showed up only when sending and receiving mail
> like on the earlier versions..

It always has an [x] somewhere, which can be clicked to close it;
then it will not re-appear until next time activated.

If you "float" it, then Ctrl+W etc. can also close it from keyboard,
and also if you decide to work on other stuff
while background task proceeds (which IIRC wasn't possible on v3),
then "floating" turns off the "always on top"
and allows your other mailbox & message windows to be raised instead,
so you can see what you're working on :)

My Task Window won't appear on "Send" (in v7 only) unless I first
click that "Status" bar square, however (YMMV, as I said).

Another quirk is that you can still "stop" a "Receive" task
from the Task window, but you can't now (7.1) stop a "Send" task
from the Task window.

Once again, the only way to stop a "Send" is to right-click
that same square in the "Status" bar to stop *all* tasks, hence
many things are lost (including useful hints, active link URLs,
and the only visible "overwrite" indicator OVR)
if the "Status" bar is turned off -- perhaps reconsider that?

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
[now about upgraded v7.1]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:55:54 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> I need to find the little pencil so I can edit stylized text.
> I would use the "A" icon to clear all the style tags out.

Incoming messages have the "pencil" (edit this message) tool
by default (but this is configurable, so could get turned off);
outgoing messages are not editable, except via "send again,"
which copies to a new message and can be retained forever
without actually clicking "Send" -- tricks can be used to prevent
accidental sending, including either a third-party plug-in
or simply "Bcc: x@x@x" (assuming SMTP server will then refuse it)

BTW, editing of incoming is now "body only" by default
("Subject" seen in incoming mailbox summary is also editable,
as in v3, being actually a copy in the "table of contents" file,
rather than from the original message).

> Also where is the "blah, blah, blah" header expander.

Also on all incoming messages by default, unless turned off.

> Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)!
> Primary Cause of Global Warming!

Also from "air" guns?

-[ ]-
From: Citizen Bob on
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:47:57 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> I need to find the little pencil so I can edit stylized text.
>> I would use the "A" icon to clear all the style tags out.

>Incoming messages have the "pencil" (edit this message) tool
>by default (but this is configurable, so could get turned off);

How do you turn it off and on?

>> Also where is the "blah, blah, blah" header expander.

>Also on all incoming messages by default, unless turned off.

How?

From: Daniel Jacobson on
In article <46017d0e.449657531(a)news-server.houston.rr.com>, spam(a)uce.gov says...

> I have been using Eudora 3.0.5 since it first came out in 1997. I like
> it, so why change?
>
> The problem is that it makes you install a personality by using the
> "POP Account", instead of splitting it up into separate username and
> Pop3 server address. The POP Account is
>
> user(a)mail.domain.com
>
> That's OK unless your user name consists of the full email address
> <user(a)domain.com> which is required for some POP 3 servers. This
> results in a POP Account:
>
> user(a)domain.com@mail.domain.com
>
> Eudora 3.0.5 can't handle that because it parses the first "@" which
> results in the wrong mail server address.
>
> The workaround is to use
> user%domain.com(a)mail.domain.com
>
> Now Eudora parses the string correctly. However the POP3 server has to
> be able to deal with user%domain.com as the username. Network
> Solutions can do that. But other POP3 servers seem to be having a
> problem.
>
> The same problem occurred on earlier versions of Netscape - you had to
> use <user%domain.com>.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this for Eudora 3.0.5? Or is the only
> solution to get a newer version of Eudora?

Try:
If you have 2 @ signs in the address it may not work correctly,
try replacing the first @ sign with a percent sign (%) or a colon (:).

user:domain.com(a)mail.domain.com