From: Citizen Bob on
I have been using Eudora 3.0.5 since it first came out in 1997. I like
it, so why change?

The problem is that it makes you install a personality by using the
"POP Account", instead of splitting it up into separate username and
Pop3 server address. The POP Account is

user(a)mail.domain.com

That's OK unless your user name consists of the full email address
<user(a)domain.com> which is required for some POP 3 servers. This
results in a POP Account:

user(a)domain.com@mail.domain.com

Eudora 3.0.5 can't handle that because it parses the first "@" which
results in the wrong mail server address.

The workaround is to use

user%domain.com(a)mail.domain.com

Now Eudora parses the string correctly. However the POP3 server has to
be able to deal with user%domain.com as the username. Network
Solutions can do that. But other POP3 servers seem to be having a
problem.

The same problem occurred on earlier versions of Netscape - you had to
use <user%domain.com>.

Does anyone know how to fix this for Eudora 3.0.5? Or is the only
solution to get a newer version of Eudora?

--

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)!
Primary Cause of Global Warming!

The DHMO Institute
Houston, Texas

http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/dhmo.html
From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:47:45 -0500,
Citizen Bob <rkba, but hold your fire please,
until you've confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt
whom you're shooting at, and that they're guilty> wrote:

> I have been using Eudora 3.0.5 since it first came out in 1997.
> I like it, so why change?

I held out with 3.0.6 for the better part of the decade,
but have to admit that v6 and then v7
have been of great benefit to have finally adopted.

> The problem is that it makes you install a personality by using
> the "POP Account", instead of splitting it up into separate username
> and Pop3 server address. The POP Account is
>
> user(a)mail.domain.com
>
> That's OK unless your user name consists of the full email address
> <user(a)domain.com> which is required for some POP3 servers.
> This results in a POP Account:
>
> user(a)domain.com@mail.domain.com
>
> Eudora 3.0.5 can't handle that because it parses the first "@" which
> results in the wrong mail server address.
>
> The workaround is to use
>
> user%domain.com(a)mail.domain.com
>
> Now Eudora parses the string correctly. However the POP3 server
> has to be able to deal with user%domain.com as the username.
> Network Solutions can do that. But other POP3 servers
> seem to be having a problem.
>
> The same problem occurred on earlier versions of Netscape -
> you had to use <user%domain.com>.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this for Eudora 3.0.5?
> Or is the only solution to get a newer version of Eudora?

The Eudora v3 manual hasn't even the above "%" clue:
ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/eudoralight/windows/english/eul3manl.pdf

Perhaps it's time to enjoy all that's new and improved?

-[ ]-
From: Citizen Bob on
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:31:39 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

>There is a way to go back to old-fashioned > quoting,

Do you know how?

>> As you can see I have to RTFM.

>YES, do read!

I did and now things are a lot clearer.

I used to be able to click on a little pencil and clear the fancy text
back to normal, but I can't find it in 7.1. How do I clear fancy text?

From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:09:37 -0500, Citizen Bob fired off this round:

> I got 7.1 and it appears to be pretty much the same.

Looks like they wasted a huge amount of developer time on it,
in that case :)

But it has of course the same basic personality as in its youth
("as the twig is bent, so grows the tree" :)

> I do not want the split window for each mailbox

Temporary flip-flop: F7 [key]

Permanent: Tools > Options > "Viewing Mail" > "Preview Pane"

> Then there's the matter of the SHIFT key not working.

???

> I used that to select among my various personalities.
> Now I have to invoke the sidebar and use it.

Do you mean to choose which "From:" when you compose?
"From:" always offers a drop-down list
if there are additional personalities,
even *after* you've sent the message! (is that a bug?)

Do you mean to check mail for one personality at a time?
Yes, that's Shift while clicking "Check" (or Shift+Ctrl+M);
is this not working for you?

> I also miss the progress box that lets you know
> how far along you are when fetching and sending messages.
> I can't get Task Status to work.

Although the small "blue progress bar" in the "Status" bar
does do something to pacify the waiting user,
I had myself missed all that extra detail
when I first jumped from v3 to v6;
even though suppressed by default, however,
all the "good old stuff" is still available:

Tools > Options > "Background Tasks" [you could check-mark everything].

This of course used to "float" in v3 -- you can do the same
by dragging the "grabber" and hauling the Task Status window
(actually combined Task/Error window) away from any edge,
then optionally right-click within grey border area
and play with "float" and/or other options
("float" isn't necessary, but what it can do is change from
an independent "always on top" window to a window having the same
status [and MDI bar button] as any other mailbox/message window).

If "Bring task status window to front" had been checked in Options,
then Task Status should always display during "Check mail"

However, I find that unless I have "Task Status" already visible
before a "Send," then it doesn't become visible during sending in 7.1,
whereas it always did so in v6.2 -- yet other people have declared
that it still becomes visible for them, even on sending,
so there's some "YMMV" effect at this point :)

Also, any time you want to make the Task Status window appear,
you can click the first gray "depressed box" in the Status bar
(hover the mouse pointer on first three boxes for clues);

> Also I can't seem to get simple HTML links to work. They show up
> as underlined in blue but nothing happens when I click on them.

What Windows version? What's your "default browser" in Windows?

What happens to web links in other applications?

How about Help > "Payment & Registration" > "Find latest versions"
(or "Go to Eudora web site")?

> In addition the method of quoting has changed to vertical bars
> on the left side. I liked it the old way, with one or more ">"

See "What is format=flowed?" [a Eudora invention, IIRC]
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1626hq.html

"If, for some reason, you do not want to use format=flowed
and the excerpt bars, you can turn it off" [so they say]

<x-eudora-option:AlwaysExcerptResponse=0>
<x-eudora-option:ConvertFormatFlowedtoExcerpt=1>

> How do I implement the S/MIME plugin?

Did it come with its own "ReadMe" file? In the Zip, or at:
http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.0/SMIME_Readme.txt

SMIME.DLL goes in the Plugins directory
below where Eudora.exe (program) was installed.

> How do I get a public certificate (Verisign?)

Thawte offers free personal certs
(perhaps other CAs, though I don't who else)
http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/email_business.html

> As you can see I have to read the manual.

That wouldn't hurt, but of course we want to
drive first, take "Driver Ed" some other time :)

Other resources are also available from Qualcomm,
though it's not known for how much longer:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ [search for answers]
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/ [Qualcomn user forums]
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/search.php [search forums]

Even if the Eudora "answer cards" (or other static web pages)
disappear (as some have), they are archived at
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Unfortunately, you still have to know the exact URL,
and there won't be any search engine left to find them :(

Google has arhived the entire history of this newsgroup
(and can also search it):
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=group:comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

> [trick with "user%domain(a)myisp.com" as old-style "POP account"]
> was a Network Solutions workaround.

Oh, so it's only for some particular SMTP servers
(at those locations which gave special support for Eudora,
at least when Eudora was so much more popular).

> I am using 7.1 Pro (aka "Paid"), not Lite.

Bravo!

> It appears that Eudora is going to become open source.

Totally new product (Penelope), being written from scratch(?),
in part by Eudora developers (apparently still on Qualcomm payroll,
which is apparently in lieu of promised further Eudora support
and development [Mac never even got v7] that was canceled).

It's on top of existing Thunderbird, however,
so don't expect anything like a genetic match
(add here, lose there, some expect more loss than gain)

"Que Sera, Sera"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be_(Que_Sera,_Sera)
http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=12960

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:38:40 -0500:

> unholy mating of Eudora and Thunderbird, called Pandora I think?

That name might be much more apropos :-)))

-[ ]-
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: pgp plugin no longer available