From: C A Upsdell on
Is there a Eudora 8 manual somewhere?

Right now I am specifically interested in finding out how to transfer
all the accounts, email messages, etc. from an old Windows XP PC to a
new Windows 7 PC, but I'll probably be looking for other info in the
future, so finding a manual will help me later on.

From: John H Meyers on
On 4/12/2010 8:21 AM, C A wrote:

> Is there a Eudora 8 manual somewhere?

Not unless you write one :)

Free software is often like that.

"Eudora 8" is, however, basically Thunderbird 3 with a Eudora feathers transplant,
so a great deal of Thunderbird information applies to "Eudora 8" as well.

However, if you click "Help" > "Help Contents" (_not_ the same as "F1" :)
in "Eudora 8," you may find yourself being directed to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Documentation_Project
and there may be a few words about importing somewhere around there.

Or just go to "Tools" > "Import"
then close your eyes and shoot :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tx77nlQiQA
(Nicole Parker later actually stepped into the role of "Elphaba"
for six months, in the NYC cast of "Wicked," and was magnificent)
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/124925-Madtv-Star-Parker-Will-Be-Broadways-New-Elphaba-Tveit-Returns-Too

> Right now I am specifically interested in finding out how to transfer
> all the accounts, email messages, etc. from an old Windows XP PC to a
> new Windows 7 PC, but I'll probably be looking for other info in the
> future, so finding a manual will help me later on.

Do your existing accounts reside in classic Eudora (e.g. 7.1)
or already in "Eudora 8"?

If the former, you could continue using 7.1 under Windows 7,
provided you install it as Windows now requires, see:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/announcement.php?a=13
which includes a section:
"Problem-free move of 7.1 from XP to Windows 7 (or Vista)"

If you are already using "Eudora 8," then just transfer your Thunderbird "profile."

From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-04-12 10:23, John H Meyers wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 8:21 AM, C A wrote:
>
>> Is there a Eudora 8 manual somewhere?
>
> Not unless you write one :)

Sigh. You would think that Qualcomm would have offered some support in
creating an on-line manual ... in addition to the support which (I
understand) they provided for creating Eudora 8.

>> Right now I am specifically interested in finding out how to transfer
>> all the accounts, email messages, etc. from an old Windows XP PC to a
>> new Windows 7 PC, but I'll probably be looking for other info in the
>> future, so finding a manual will help me later on.
>
> Do your existing accounts reside in classic Eudora (e.g. 7.1)
> or already in "Eudora 8"?

When I installed Eudora 8, I imported everything from my Eudora *5*
program. It worked, more or less, though some personalities were
dropped, some operations with personalities appear to be broken, and
filters (of course) are a dog's breakfast.

I did this on my Windows XP machine, since I suspected that installing
Eudora 5 on my new Windows 7 PC and then trying to get Eudora 8 to
import from *that* would be unsuccessful.

> If you are already using "Eudora 8," then just transfer your Thunderbird
> "profile."

I'll look into that. Thanks.

From: John H Meyers on
On 4/12/2010 10:16 AM, C A wrote:

> You would think that Qualcomm would have offered some support in
> creating an on-line manual

There it is:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Documentation_Project
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

It being a "wiki," you may create an account and start editing/expanding :)

However, there exists years of other Thunderbird documentation, such as at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/support/

Etc. (and "Google is still your friend" :)

It's still not too late to use "classic" Eudora (with all your old mail)
on Windows 7, where it still works -- "never give up" :)

From: John H Meyers on
I forgot to mention that Qualcomm also still has forums:

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/

For "Eudora 8" in particular:

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29