From: Nobody on
"Richard Cole" <ispcrco(a)hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I think Helmut is thinking of the MSDN version for development only which
> is limited to a maximum of 10 concurrent users.
>
> I'm not a Windows 2000 user, but I do have a MSDN subscription.

I think that you are thinking about the number of activations for installing
MSDN version of XP or later, which is another story, but I am not sure.

From: Phil Hunt on
"Install your software" is to install other dependencies. Is that what you
mean ?

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Richard Cole" <ispcrco(a)hotmail.com.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:08:42 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taustinca(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in
>>
>>> If the "server" is really a Windows workstation
>>> runnig e.g. "Windows 2000 Professional" then there is a limit
>>> imposed: 10 concurrent connections to this machine. No more than
>>> 10 clients can access the workstation concurrently.
>>>
>>Is that in the license somewhere? Cuz I've never found it. And I
>>*know* it's not enforced by the OS. Microsoft server software - ISS,
>>for instance - has that restriction both in the license and enforced
>>by the software, but I've never found such a provision in any desktop
>>license (not that I've looked that hard) and have never had a problem
>>running non MS server software (like Apache or Mercury mail server),
>>and I *would* if it were a technical restriction.
> Terry
>
> I think Helmut is thinking of the MSDN version for development only which
> is limited to a maximum of 10 concurrent users.
>
> I'm not a Windows 2000 user, but I do have a MSDN subscription.

No, it's hardcoded into the OS. WinNT3.51 Workstation was the last version
you could trick into believing it's a server by changing 2 registry entries.
You still didn't have the additional tools which came with the server version,
but otherwise the machine was a server with unlimited access.

It *is* a technical restriction. Try to connect to any Home, Pro or Ultimate
version from more than 9 computers in the local net, accessing any files in any
shared directories.
There is no limitation of the number of files or directories opened.
But if User1 on machine B accesses Machine A and a process on machine B
running in another context (as User2) also accesses Machine A, then on
Machine A this counts as 2 connections!

BTW, those connections are dropped after some period of inactivity. This
is transparent to the application programs, when they try to access the server
again e.g. to store a file, the connection is automatically re-established
if the 10 connection limit isn't exceeded.

The other way round there is no limit, Machine A can access a unlimited
number of other machines concurrently.

Helmut.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
>> Well, you covered all cases. There is no clear cut answer.
>
> If they want to run the exe from a file share so they can easily update it,
> they have to install your software on each client and change the shortcut to
> point to the exe on the server. This is assuming that only the exe changes
> from version to version.

That's exactly the way I usually install my programs on a customer's site.

Helmut.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Richard Cole" <ispcrco(a)hotmail.com.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:08:42 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
>> <taustinca(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in

>>>Is that in the license somewhere? Cuz I've never found it. And I
>>>*know* it's not enforced by the OS. Microsoft server software - ISS,
>>>for instance - has that restriction both in the license and enforced
>>>by the software, but I've never found such a provision in any desktop
>>>license (not that I've looked that hard) and have never had a problem
>>>running non MS server software (like Apache or Mercury mail server),
>>>and I *would* if it were a technical restriction.
>> Terry
>>
>> I think Helmut is thinking of the MSDN version for development only which
>> is limited to a maximum of 10 concurrent users.
>>
>> I'm not a Windows 2000 user, but I do have a MSDN subscription.
>>

> No, it's hardcoded into the OS. WinNT3.51 Workstation was the last version
> you could trick into believing it's a server by changing 2 registry entries.
> You still didn't have the additional tools which came with the server version,
> but otherwise the machine was a server with unlimited access.
>
> It *is* a technical restriction. Try to connect to any Home, Pro or Ultimate
> version from more than 9 computers in the local net, accessing any files in
> any
> shared directories.
> There is no limitation of the number of files or directories opened.
> But if User1 on machine B accesses Machine A and a process on machine B
> running in another context (as User2) also accesses Machine A, then on
> Machine A this counts as 2 connections!
>
> BTW, those connections are dropped after some period of inactivity. This
> is transparent to the application programs, when they try to access the server
> again e.g. to store a file, the connection is automatically re-established
> if the 10 connection limit isn't exceeded.
>
> The other way round there is no limit, Machine A can access a unlimited
> number of other machines concurrently.
>
> Helmut.

One thing to add:
there was never any restriction imposed on Win95, Win98 or ME.
I think M$ thought nobody in his right mind would misuse such an
instable OS as server. <vbg>

Helmut.