From: Helmut Meukel on
Terry,

your posts never arrived here. I found both on Google though.

You obviously misunderstand this: mail and web services are not
limited, but any normal network connection to shared folders or a
shared printer.
AFAIK, M$ intended - after NT4 - to include web services in this
limitation but finally dropped it, realizing those users would switch
to Linux instead of using their expensive Windows Servers.

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
> "Install your software" is to install other dependencies. Is that what you
> mean ?

Yes.

From: Helmut Meukel on
> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, you covered all cases. There is no clear cut answer.
>>
>> If they want to run the exe from a file share so they can easily update it,
>> they have to install your software on each client and change the shortcut to
>> point to the exe on the server. This is assuming that only the exe changes
>> from version to version.
>>

> That's exactly the way I usually install my programs on a customer's site.
>
> Helmut.

I can update it even while it is running:
1) rename the old version
2) copy the new version ito the same folder
3) the next time anyone starts the app, the new version will run.

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
> I can update it even while it is running:
> 1) rename the old version
> 2) copy the new version ito the same folder
> 3) the next time anyone starts the app, the new version will run.

This is supported in Windows 2000+. Executable files like EXE/DLL can be
renamed while in use, but cannot be deleted while in use. I am not sure
about OCX files, but this doesn't apply to other files like text files.

Dynamic-Link Library Updates:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682604(v=VS.85).aspx

From: Helmut Meukel on
> "Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
>> I can update it even while it is running:
>> 1) rename the old version
>> 2) copy the new version ito the same folder
>> 3) the next time anyone starts the app, the new version will run.
>
> This is supported in Windows 2000+. Executable files like EXE/DLL can be
> renamed while in use, but cannot be deleted while in use. I am not sure about
> OCX files, but this doesn't apply to other files like text files.

I just checked it: renaming an exe while in use works for NT4 too.

Helmut.