From: Sheldon on
Hello -

I have a general question re executables. If users have a shortcut to an
executable that resides on an application server, where is the application
actually "running" from? Does it "run" on the client computer? Does a copy
of it "run" on the client computer? How many people can run a shortcut that
points to one executable at the same time?
--
Sheldon
From: kpg on
=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGRvbg==?= <Sheldon(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hello -
>
> I have a general question re executables. If users have a shortcut to
> an executable that resides on an application server, where is the
> application actually "running" from? Does it "run" on the client
> computer? Does a copy of it "run" on the client computer? How many
> people can run a shortcut that points to one executable at the same
> time?

It is loaded into the memory of the client computer and run on the client
computer.

There is no limit to the number of users running the program, however, if
the program uses other resources (files, databases) there may be limits,
restrictions on that.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Sheldon" <Sheldon(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello -
>
> I have a general question re executables. If users have a shortcut to an
> executable that resides on an application server, where is the application
> actually "running" from? Does it "run" on the client computer? Does a copy
> of it "run" on the client computer? How many people can run a shortcut that
> points to one executable at the same time?
> --
> Sheldon

The OS of the client computer reads it from the server into the memory
of the client computer and executes it there. There is no difference between
starting it from explorer on the network drive and using a local shortcut that
points to the exe on the network drive.

If the network computer runs a Windows Server OS and there are
enough client licenses, then - AFAIK - there is no limit of concurrent users
running the same program. Of course you also need a license for each
user for the program. The details may differ, you can't run some programs
*legally* from a server.

Keep in mind, you have to install most exes on the client system.

If the server runs Linux you don't need client licenses to access it.
If the "server" is really a Windows workstation runnig e.g. "Windows 2000
Professional" then there is a limit imposed: 10 concurrent connections
to this machine. No more than 10 clients can access the workstation
concurrently.

If the server runs Terminal Services, then the clients are just terminals,
the Program runs on the Terminal Server, the keystrokes are transfered
to the server an the video data to the client.

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Sheldon" <Sheldon(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> I have a general question re executables. If users have a shortcut to an
> executable that resides on an application server, where is the application
> actually "running" from?

The mapped drive or UNC path. For example, App.Path would be something like
"Z:\Apps", or "\\FileServer\Apps.

> Does it "run" on the client computer? Does a copy
> of it "run" on the client computer?

It's loaded on the client memory and executed on the CPU at the client.

> How many people can run a shortcut that
> points to one executable at the same time?

Virtually unlimited if the OS is one of the server version. The non-Server
versions such as Home/Pro Editions allow limited connections, typically up
to 10 users. Do not confuse this with Winsock connections, which are
unlimited regardless of the OS edition(Home/Pro/Server).

Finally, the term "application server" is not clear, but it sometimes refers
to something running under a terminal server. This is usually MS or Citrix
server. Citrix is one of the few companies that have access to Windows
Servers OS source code since NT4 days, and they make a slightly different
version of it. Citrix advantage is more efficiency in the communication
protocol, requiring less bandwidth, and they have multiplatform and web
based clients. Users pay Citrix per user licenses which includes client
access licenses from Microsoft, so both companies are happy.

In a terminal server, your app always resides and execute on the server
itself, and a picture of the screen is sent to the client, and keyboard and
mouse input is forwarded to the server. This works like remote control
software such as VNC. The client in this case runs a software like Remote
Desktop Connection(It's in Accessories-->Communications in the Start Menu),
specify the computer name and user/password, and connect. Typically there
are two ways to start a terminal services session: Full Desktop in which the
client sees a full desktop including the task bar, or single or initial
application, in which the target application is seen full screen. The user
or the admin choose which application to start in the later case. Starting a
session with a single application has the advantage of using less resources.

Most companies, especially big ones prefer to use Citrix because it's ahead
of MS terminal servers, and easier to manage. The most common configuration
is by using a product called XenApp, in which case, after a user logs in, he
is greeted with a screen with several shortcuts called published
applications, and when he opens one of the shortcuts, the application is
started in its own window.

One of the advantages of terminal servers is that IT people only need to
install your software on the terminal server itself, and not on client
computers, so if there is a problem with your software, or if it needs
updating, they only have to update the copy on the terminal server(s).

There is nothing special you need to do in your app to make it work in a
terminal server, just don't block your app from starting another copy on the
same computer, for example, don't use a global mutex. Using App.PrevInstance
is fine. Also avoid opening files exclusively that are supposed to be
accessed by other copies of your application at the same time. You can test
how your software behave in a terminal server by using fast user switching
in XP and later if you want.

Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_server

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrix_XenApp

From: Phil Hunt on
If using a shortcut, and the exe has some DLL registered on the 'server',
does it work ?