From: Helmut Meukel on
>> "Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Terry,
>>
>> your posts never arrived here. I found both on Google though.
>>
>> You obviously misunderstand this: mail and web services are not
>> limited, but any normal network connection to shared folders or a
>> shared printer.

Terry,

I read your answer via google. Are you banned from Microsofts
news servers?

> Incoming connections to a web or mail server connect to the operating system.
> This is no different than writing a server app in VB, or any other languate.
> There is no hard coded limit in the operating system.
>
>> AFAIK, M$ intended - after NT4 - to include web services in this limitation
>> but finally dropped it, realizing those users would switch to Linux instead
>> of using their expensive Windows Servers.
>
> So you agree with me, then?

NO! You still don't understand:
here is an excerpt from KB 328459
| Troubleshooting Server Message Block inbound connection limit in
| Windows peer-to-peer workgroup
|
| Computers that run Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000
| Professional, and Windows XP Professional are licensed for a
| maximum of 10 concurrent client incoming sessions. Computers
| that run Windows XP Home Edition are licensed for a maximum
| of 5 concurrent client incoming sessions. All logical drive, logical
| printer, and transport level connections combined from a single
| computer are one session.
|
| If the server service already has the maximum number of open
| sessions and one more user tries to allocate a resource, the
| computer returns the error messages that are described in the
| "Symptoms" section of this article.

Your mail and web server programs do *not* use SMBs
and are therefore not restricted by the 10 (or 5) connections limit
of the OS.

BTW, this connection limit is there in an Domain environment too.
If you try to connect to another client computer Windows regards
this as peer-to-peer networking.

Helmut.

From: David Kerber on
In article <Xns9D63775BEED05taustingmail(a)69.16.186.50>,
taustinca(a)gmail.com says...

> I have. No problem. I use XP Home on our internal mail and web
> server, using Apache and Mercury. And have used it on another
> server, as well.
>
> It is hard coded in to MS server software, yes. But not in the OS
> itself. I *know*, from personal experience.

These limits don't apply to things like mail servers and web servers;
only to "shared resources", like mapped drives.