From: Brian K on
Tim,

This is an easy way to make a Win7 bootable USB flash drive.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

From: Timothy Daniels on
"Daave" wrote:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> Daave typed:

>> Bart's PE2USB can do this for Windows.

>> DOS, Windows, and Linux.

>> Yes and no. It depends on the OS and version.

>> Too many to mention. Google.

>> Yes, but Windows XP and Windows 2000 (not sure about Vista and Windows
>> 7) requires registry hacks (about three pages worth) to stop Windows
>> from resetting the USB ports while it boots. Otherwise Windows hangs
>> right in the middle of booting.
>>
>>> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6160062.html
>>>
>>> http://www.shivaranjan.com/2008/09/03/how-to-create-bootable-linux-usb-flashpen-drive-from-windows/
>>>
>>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
>>
>> Well there you go on the Linux side.
>
> The first link is for Windows XP:
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com:80/5100-10878_11-6160062.html
>
> "Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP"

And: "The first hurdle is having a PC in which the BIOS will allow you
to configure the USB port to act as a bootable device."

Hmmm... It sounds like it's all dependent on the BIOS. Since that seems
to be so, for booting from an external rotational HD, I'd rather just buy a
desktop with an eSATA port on the motherboard.

*TimDaniels*

From: Brian K on

"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message

> Yes, but Windows XP and Windows 2000 (not sure about Vista and Windows 7)
> requires registry hacks (about three pages worth) to stop Windows from
> resetting the USB ports while it boots. Otherwise Windows hangs right in
> the middle of booting.

Bill, how "fast" is WinXP when you boot it from a USB external HD?

From: Daave on
Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Daave" wrote:
>> BillW50 wrote:
>>> Daave typed:

>>> Bart's PE2USB can do this for Windows.

>>> DOS, Windows, and Linux.

>>> Yes and no. It depends on the OS and version.

>>> Too many to mention. Google.

>>> Yes, but Windows XP and Windows 2000 (not sure about Vista and
>>> Windows 7) requires registry hacks (about three pages worth) to
>>> stop Windows from resetting the USB ports while it boots. Otherwise
>>> Windows hangs right in the middle of booting.

>>> Well there you go on the Linux side.
>>
>> The first link is for Windows XP:
>>
>> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com:80/5100-10878_11-6160062.html
>>
>> "Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for
>> Windows XP"
>
> And: "The first hurdle is having a PC in which the BIOS will allow
> you to configure the USB port to act as a bootable device."
>
> Hmmm... It sounds like it's all dependent on the BIOS. Since that
> seems to be so, for booting from an external rotational HD, I'd
> rather just buy a desktop with an eSATA port on the motherboard.

Apples and oranges. And I would say that both are worth having.

I would imagine that if your motherboard has at least one eSATA port, it
also has a BIOS with the capacity to boot off a USB device, which could
come in handy in an emergency situation. Sure, if you have a bootable
clone, that would work in an emergency situation, too. But the flash
drive can work as well *and* it can work with other PCs, too --
including those without eSATA ports.

Of course, if you plan on *never* working on another PC, your need for a
bootable USB flash drive greatly diminishes. It is thereful more useful
to techs who work on other PCs. Or to anyone who has something like a
netbook that doesn't have an eSATA port (like OP maybe?).

From: WSZsr on
I've done it with Vista and Win 7 many times. Use an 8 GB USB flash drive.
Microsoft has an app (http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool) that
automates the process. First save the Win 7 DVD as an iso file on your hard
drive then run the app. Very simple. I haven't tried a "rotational" hard
drive

"Timothy Daniels" <NoSpam(a)SpamMeKnot.biz> wrote in message
> "BillW50" replied:
>> WSZsr typed:
>>> You can boot to a USB flash drive and even install the OS from it.
>>
>> Yes you can. And I do it all of the time. Although you need to put a MBR
>> on the flash drive. And this stops a lot of casual computer users right
>> there. <sigh>
>
> Care to explain in detail how to do that?
> What OSes have you done this with?
> Are the MBRs specific to the OSes?
> Any links to how-tos?
> Have you booted a Windows OS from a USB rotational hard drive
> using your method?
>
> *TimDaniels*

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Christmas
Next: Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7 wifi wierdness