From: WSZsr on
Not necessary. Just hit F12 at post and pick your USB boot flash device
from the list.

From: WSZsr on
Microsoft has an app to automate it all
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

From: BillW50 on
In news:wPhZm.64735$ze1.14330(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au,
Brian K typed on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 06:12:44 GMT:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes, but Windows XP and Windows 2000 (not sure about Vista and
>> Windows 7) requires registry hacks (about three pages worth) to stop
>> Windows from resetting the USB ports while it boots. Otherwise
>> Windows hangs right in the middle of booting.
>
> Bill, how "fast" is WinXP when you boot it from a USB external HD?

How fast? You mean how slow, right? <sigh> As USB speeds are about the
same as DVD 12x performance tests, from what I recall. And if your
Windows now boots in one minute. You can expect it to take 6 or more
minutes on USB.

Using eSATA instead of USB2, you gain all of your speed back. Plus you
don't have to hack your OS. Laptop users with either a CardBus or an
ExpressCard slot, can purchase eSATA cards. Although some laptops are
already coming with eSATA ports. <grin>

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:-_-dnbXL7rC_BajWnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com,
Timothy Daniels typed on Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:59:19 -0800:
> And: "The first hurdle is having a PC in which the BIOS will allow
> you to configure the USB port to act as a bootable device."
>
> Hmmm... It sounds like it's all dependent on the BIOS. Since that
> seems to be so, for booting from an external rotational HD, I'd
> rather just buy a desktop with an eSATA port on the motherboard.

Hi Tim! Why does it have to be a desktop? As some laptops already come
with eSATA port(s). And for the ones that doesn't, you can buy CardBus
or ExpressCard ones for under 20 bucks.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hh4sci$6if$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
WSZsr typed on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 05:35:19 -0600:
> Not necessary. Just hit F12 at post and pick your USB boot flash
> device from the list.

That was the point. Some BIOS older than 2003 or so, doesn't support
booting from USB ever! And this includes USB floppy drives and USB
CD/DVD drives as well.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Christmas
Next: Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7 wifi wierdness