From: Theodore Stathopoulos on
Yes, it is an Outlook 97 .pst archive file and includes about 100 e-mail
messages which was the content of my Outlook 97 Inbox and which I archived
before I carry out my hard disk formatting and recovery process and now I
cannot extract because this archive .pst file can neither open or be imported
into the Outlook 2010 Beta version.

Oh my God! What shall I do now?

As for the Office 2010 Beta version that I have installed, thank you for you
advice but I will buy the Office 2010 retail version as soon as it is
released.

Best regards from Greece!

From: Gordon on

wrote in message news:4AF82AB2-670A-43F1-B08D-EE7D529C5525(a)microsoft.com...
> Yes, it is an Outlook 97 .pst archive file and includes about 100 e-mail
> messages which was the content of my Outlook 97 Inbox and which I archived
> before I carry out my hard disk formatting and recovery process and now I
> cannot extract because this archive .pst file can neither open or be
> imported

Why not? What happens when you try? Any error message?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Theodore Stathopoulos" <TheodoreStathopoulos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:4AF82AB2-670A-43F1-B08D-EE7D529C5525(a)microsoft.com...

> Yes, it is an Outlook 97 .pst archive file and includes about 100 e-mail
> messages which was the content of my Outlook 97 Inbox and which I archived
> before I carry out my hard disk formatting and recovery process and now I
> cannot extract because this archive .pst file can neither open or be
> imported
> into the Outlook 2010 Beta version.

If you're speaking of "archiving" using Outlook's definitions, archiving in no
way constitutes a backup or even a faithful copy of your default PST.
Somethere along the way you used a method of transporting your data that
damaged the PST in such a way as to make it unusable. Since we don't know
exactly what you did, there's no good way to say what, but it doesn't really
matter anyway, since it's after the fact. Making a backup is useless unless
you can restore that backup. Always perform a restore to see if your backup
is faithful before trusting it so completely.

> Oh my God! What shall I do now?

I think you're screwed. Sorry.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Theodore Stathopoulos on
As I have already written above, before the formatting and recovery of my
hard disk, I archived the

content of my Outlook 97 Inbox, which was a total of about 100 e-mail
messages that I had received, and

the result of this archiving process was the Messages.pst file.

All I did was that I subsequently copied this .pst archive file to a CD-RW
and after the recovery of my

system I copied it again from the CD-RW back to my hard drive, installed the
Office 2010 Beta version and

unsuccessfully tried both to either open or import it into the Beta version
of Outlook 2010.

From what you say and according to the fact that "archiving" in Outlook's
definition is not a back-up, I

now strongly believe that copying this Messages.pst archive file from my
hard disk to the CD-RW and back

again to my hard disk after the system recovery is what damaged the messages
included in this file and

cannot be extracted.

What do you think about it? Do you agree that this is an explanation for the
cause of the damage?

Regards!

From: Gordon on

wrote in message news:751DE29F-88EA-4811-9BDB-8F9D8E0FFF39(a)microsoft.com...

> All I did was that I subsequently copied this .pst archive file to a CD-RW
> and after the recovery of my
>
> system I copied it again from the CD-RW back to my hard drive, installed
> the
> Office 2010 Beta version and
>
> unsuccessfully tried both to either open or import it into the Beta
> version
> of Outlook 2010.

So what happened when you tried? Any error message?