From: Theodore Stathopoulos on
Dear friends,

No matter how strange or unbelievable it may seem to you, I have been using
Microsoft Office 97 since the day it was released and for 13 years until now.
It worked fine both on my old computer running Windows 95 OSR 2 as well as on
my new computer running Windows XP Professional SP3.

However, a few days ago, I formatted my hard disk, installed Windows XP
Professional SP3 from scratch and instead of the outdated Office 97, I
downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 2010 Beta which works fine.

The problem now is that I have an Outlook 97 archive Message.pst file which
contains very important messages I do need for my work and I tried to extract
the files by trying both to either open or import it into Outlook 2010 but,
unfortunately, the only thing that happened was that an empty folder called
"Messages" was created in Microsoft Outlook 2010.

Unfortunately, for some reason which is unknown to me, the messages
contained in the archive file cannot be extracted in this way. Is is probably
just because Outlook 97 is so old compared to Outlook 2010 that importing or
opening its archive .pst files into Outlook 2010 is not supported? I wonder.
And most important: How could I extract the messages from this Outlook 97
..pst file?

It should be noted that I have the Microsoft Office 97 installation CD-ROM
and I am now thinking that a possible solution might be to also install
Outlook 97 on my system and use it to only extract the messages but, on the
other hand, I am not sure that this installation will not cause any damage to
the properly functioning Outlook 2010 and therefore I am afraid to do so
unless someone who knows the matter much better than me can assure me that
there will be no problems.

And anyway, in which other ways, especially if the additional installation
of Outlook 97 is not safe for my system, would it be possible to have these
important messages extracted from this Outlook 97 archive .pst file?

Please help!
From: DL on
The pst file need to be located on the hard disk (Documents folder) then
within Outlook you open it
If that produces any err msg, what is the msg?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Theodore Stathopoulos" <TheodoreStathopoulos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:AAA222D0-E342-4EDB-9CC1-74CF61608140(a)microsoft.com...

> No matter how strange or unbelievable it may seem to you, I have been using
> Microsoft Office 97 since the day it was released and for 13 years until
> now.
> It worked fine both on my old computer running Windows 95 OSR 2 as well as
> on
> my new computer running Windows XP Professional SP3.

It would be a rare mail service provider that works with Outlook 97. Most
mail service providers require authentication to the outgoing mail server and
Outlook 97 simply can't do that. Perhaps you were using Outlook 97 for
everything but email or, I supposed, your mail service provider could be one
of the very few remaining that doesn't require outgoing server authentication.

> However, a few days ago, I formatted my hard disk, installed Windows XP
> Professional SP3 from scratch and instead of the outdated Office 97, I
> downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 2010 Beta which works fine.
>
> The problem now is that I have an Outlook 97 archive Message.pst file which
> contains very important messages I do need for my work and I tried to
> extract
> the files by trying both to either open or import it into Outlook 2010 but,
> unfortunately, the only thing that happened was that an empty folder called
> "Messages" was created in Microsoft Outlook 2010.

This can't possibly be true. First, installing Outlook 2010 will not change
the content of any PST. If the PST is not referenced by a mail profile,
Outlok can't even know it exists. Second, Outlook doesn't create folders
named "Messages" automatically. Are you leaving details out of your
description?

> Unfortunately, for some reason which is unknown to me, the messages
> contained in the archive file cannot be extracted in this way. Is is
> probably
> just because Outlook 97 is so old compared to Outlook 2010 that importing or
> opening its archive .pst files into Outlook 2010 is not supported? I wonder.
> And most important: How could I extract the messages from this Outlook 97
> .pst file?

Outlook 2010 has no problem I can see opening PSTs created by Outlook 97.
Select the Backstage and open the PST there. That's all you need to do. All
the data in the PST will be available to you exact as it was in Outlok 97.

> It should be noted that I have the Microsoft Office 97 installation CD-ROM
> and I am now thinking that a possible solution might be to also install
> Outlook 97 on my system and use it to only extract the messages but, on the
> other hand, I am not sure that this installation will not cause any damage
> the properly functioning Outlook 2010 and therefore I am afraid to do so
> unless someone who knows the matter much better than me can assure me that
> there will be no problems.

You cannot have more than one version of Outlook installed.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Theodore Stathopoulos on
Hello again!

I had been using Outlook 97 without problems almost exclusively for sending
and receiving e-mail and had

never had any outgoing mail server authentication problems. My mail service
is, by the way, provided to me

through the AT&T Global Network and it seems that AT&T is one of the very
few still remaining Internet

Service Providers whose outgoing mail server does not require e-mail client
authentication.

That's exactly what I do! I go to the backstage of Office 2010 by clicking
the file tab. I then click Open

and subsequently Open an Outlook Data File (.pst) in order to open the
Outlook 97 Messages.pst archive

file. However, when I select this .pst file and click the Open button in the
Open Outlook Data File

dialogue box, the following message pops up:

"You are about to add a non-Unicode capable store to your profile. This
store should not be used to store

multilingual Unicode data. Do you want to continue?"

I click OK and then an account bearing the name of the .pst file, in this
particular case Messages, is

created in Outlook 2010 but it contains only an empty "Deleted" folder and
the messages of the Outlook 97

Messages.pst archive file for some unknown reason fail to be extracted.

Is there anything I can do to extract the messages?

I should finally also note here that my Outlook 97 was part of the Greek
language version of Office 97.

I would greatly appreciate a quick reply.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Theodore Stathopoulos" <TheodoreStathopoulos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:0E287029-A725-4179-B512-B7A27B71AC58(a)microsoft.com...

> I had been using Outlook 97 without problems almost exclusively for sending
> and receiving e-mail and had never had any outgoing mail server
> authentication problems.
> My mail service is, by the way, provided to me through the AT&T Global
> Network and it
> seems that AT&T is one of the very few still remaining Internet Service
> Providers whose
> outgoing mail server does not require e-mail client authentication.

For most of its mail services, AT&T uses Yahoo. You are lucky.

> That's exactly what I do! I go to the backstage of Office 2010 by clicking
> the file tab. I then click Open and subsequently Open an Outlook Data File
> (.pst) in order
> to open the Outlook 97 Messages.pst archive file.

Are you using the main PST from Outlook 97 or an archive PST? It makes a
difference.

> However, when I select this .pst file and
> click the Open button in the Open Outlook Data File dialogue box, the
> following message
> pops up:
>
> "You are about to add a non-Unicode capable store to your profile. This
> store should not be used to store multilingual Unicode data. Do you want to
> continue?"

This is perfectly normal.

> I click OK and then an account bearing the name of the .pst file, in this
> particular case Messages, is created in Outlook 2010 but it contains only an
> empty
> "Deleted" folder and the messages of the Outlook 97 Messages.pst archive
> file for some
> unknown reason fail to be extracted.

No account bearing the name of the PST gets created. Instead, you see the
display name of the root of the PST appearing in the Navigation Pane. That's
not an account.

> Is there anything I can do to extract the messages?
>
> I should finally also note here that my Outlook 97 was part of the Greek
> language version of Office 97.
>
> I would greatly appreciate a quick reply.

Make sure you're opening the correct PST. Outlok 2010 can read an ANSI PST
from Outlook 97 and you should be seeing all the data it contains. When you
have added it to Outlook 2010, you can convert it to a Unicode PST by
following the steps here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp

Keep in mind that the currently available Outlook 2010 is still an evaluation
copy and it will expire within the next year so unless you have a copy of
Outlook 2003 or later, you won't be able to open any of the PSTs you create
with it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]