From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Theodore Stathopoulos" <TheodoreStathopoulos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:751DE29F-88EA-4811-9BDB-8F9D8E0FFF39(a)microsoft.com...

> As I have already written above, before the formatting and recovery of my
> hard disk, I archived the
> content of my Outlook 97 Inbox,

Exactly what do you mean by this? Describe the exact process you used.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Theodore Stathopoulos on
What I can remember is that I archived the messages of my Outlook 97 Inbox by
using the Archive command in the File menu of Outlook 97 but it seems that I
made a mistake without realising it... I don't know...
Because today I ran the Scanpst.exe tool that can be found in the
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14" folder and found out that the
Messages.pst archive file had a lot of errors which were repaired.

Then, I downloaded, installed and used the trial version of Outlook Recovery
Toolbox. This is a piece of software that repairs, reads and extracts, among
others, Outlook 97 .pst files and I was very badly surprised to see that
there was no Inbox folder with e-mail messages contained in the Messages.pst
file but only an empty Deleted and Tasks folder which were properly created
in Outlook 2010 as well as the Journal folder which was full but anyway
cannot be extracted as it is not supported by Outlook 2010.

I can now realise that I made a mistake when I carried out the archiving
process and instead of my Inbox I archived the empty Deleted and Tasks folder
as well as the Journal folder.

There is no other explanation and after this I think that the problem has to
be considered solved.

There was actually no problem but my own silly mistake. This is quite often
the result of a rush job done under pressure and I really feel awfully sorry
for any possible headache I have caused to you and thank you very much for
all your due attention and communication.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Theodore Stathopoulos" <TheodoreStathopoulos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:239950DE-9807-461B-A21E-7A6309FC0D2E(a)microsoft.com...

> I can now realise that I made a mistake when I carried out the archiving
> process and instead of my Inbox I archived the empty Deleted and Tasks
> folder
> as well as the Journal folder.

Sorry to hear that. It's always a bite when you discover after the fact that
you didn't save what you thought you were saving.

> There is no other explanation and after this I think that the problem has to
> be considered solved.

Going forward, make sure you make frequent backups to avoid this issue.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]