From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:30:45 -0400, "Tim Conway"
<tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>>
>> Tim Conway - Frankly, I think the Coe's pulled off flood pictures
>> better. Tighter on the raft might have worked better. I could see
>> cropping off the entire right side from the white shed and enough of
>> the left to make a square format. The second shot doesn't say
>> "flood", but we know from the other pictures that it is "flood".
>>
>I like your idea of cropping at the white shed. These really were just grab
>shots of the running high Susquehanna River in PA.
>
>> Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
>> my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
>> Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
>> border (Select All>Edit>Stroke) I think it makes the photo more
>> distinct on the page.
>>
>> I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
>> border, or does it make any difference?
>>

>I don't think it really matters. A point to consider is that in museums and
>exhibits, a lot of photos on display have white mats so a white border is in
>pretty good company.

My comment wasn't really about borders in general, but specifically
borders on a black background web page like SmugMug or PBase. In some
(but not all) cases, without a border we don't know where the picture
ends and the background begins. Sure, we do as we take it in, but
first impressions often form most of our impression.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Robert Coe on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
: ...
:
: Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
: thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
: amateurish.

It's hard to tell about an incomplete painting. I remember a time many years
ago when the amateur theater group in our town asked my wife to provide them a
half-completed portrait of Benjamin Franklin. (It was central to the play they
were doing for some reason I don't recall.) So she roughed out Ben's face on a
canvass and did about the half the work necessary to complete the picture. The
result was a slapdash-looking painting with all the main elements but almost
no detail. But the theater people said no, they didn't mean a completed
painting; it was supposed to be HALF-completed. They apparently expected a
fully completed picture of half of Franklin's face, not comprehending that
that's not how artists work.

So the fact that the painting in the photograph looks amateurish now may not
mean that the finished product will be amateurinh as well.

Bob
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-14 18:35:27 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
> : ...
> :
> : Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
> : thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
> : amateurish.
>
> It's hard to tell about an incomplete painting. I remember a time many years
> ago when the amateur theater group in our town asked my wife to provide them a
> half-completed portrait of Benjamin Franklin. (It was central to the play they
> were doing for some reason I don't recall.) So she roughed out Ben's face on a
> canvass and did about the half the work necessary to complete the picture. The
> result was a slapdash-looking painting with all the main elements but almost
> no detail. But the theater people said no, they didn't mean a completed
> painting; it was supposed to be HALF-completed. They apparently expected a
> fully completed picture of half of Franklin's face, not comprehending that
> that's not how artists work.
>
> So the fact that the painting in the photograph looks amateurish now may not
> mean that the finished product will be amateurinh as well.
>
> Bob

I have known some very good artists, and from what I could tell he was
a hobbyist. The work was in an early stage and he seemed to be sure of
what he was doing. So the final product could be far more refined when
finished.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Twibil on
On Apr 14, 6:35 pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:

> They apparently expected a fully completed picture of
> half of Franklin's face, not comprehending that
> that's not how artists work.

Depends on the artist. And they were probably thinking of something
along the lines of the famous incomplete portrait of G. Washington
where the bottom part of the picture looks something like clouds
because it was never painted in.

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Gilbert_stuart/images/gs.47.L.jpg
From: Robert Coe on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:10:18 -0700 (PDT), Twibil <nowayjose6(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: On Apr 14, 6:35�pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
: >
: >
: > They apparently expected a fully completed picture of
: > half of Franklin's face, not comprehending that
: > that's not how artists work.
:
: Depends on the artist. And they were probably thinking of something
: along the lines of the famous incomplete portrait of G. Washington
: where the bottom part of the picture looks something like clouds
: because it was never painted in.
:
: http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Gilbert_stuart/images/gs.47.L.jpg

But Stuart did at least finish GW's face. It appears that he may have been
planning to farm out the rest of the coat, wall decorations, etc. to one of
his students but didn't get around to it in time. (He was in good company, of
course. Painters had been doing that for hundreds of years.)

Bob