From: Bowser on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>

>Bowser - Love coke machine. That mass of bright color against the
>background is effective. I'd crop the right side with that whitish
>area. It competes with the coke machine. The man on the rocks
>doesn't really have a central point of focus. The flood scene right
>up there with the Coe's shots.

The contrast of the Coke machine against the background was what drew
me to that shot. Of course, if I was able to get there during the fire
it would have been quite a shot, but the FD closed the roads due to
the intensity of the fire.

I guess the guy on the rocks worked better when I was there, watching
him and his wife ignore the warnings of many of us and get (nearly)
knocked off the rocks by a big roller. It was cold and windy, they got
soaked, we were all amused.

The water shot worked for me because of the uniqueness of the
situation, and the colors. Somewhat flat, but kind of "earthy" and
muted. The water is down now, fortunately. I posted a copy of this pic
in the local general store, and got about 500 requests for prints. The
locals love floods, I guess.
From: nm5k on
On Apr 14, 12:20 am, tony cooper <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me.  I use SmugMug as
> my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
> Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
> border (Select All>Edit>Stroke)   I think it makes the photo more
> distinct on the page.
>
> I don't see others doing do this.  Which works best?  Border, no
> border, or does it make any difference?

Dunno.. I don't really like a white background, and I guess by
default that would include white borders.. I kind of like black
backgrounds and no borders I think.. But I would have to ponder
this further I suppose.
I missed this S/O.. I didn't have any new shots. I had a few from
the downtown adventure I could have used, but I was burned out
on those. Any others I had that were F8, I didn't think really
worthy..
Been busy too.. My old puter decided to start crapping negative
the other day. Kept randomly shutting down.. Not sure, but I
think either my CPU or one of my RAM sticks was flaking out.
I overclock the snot out of everything I run.. My old box was
getting a bit aged and I couldn't see any point in trying to fix
an obsolete machine. So I built a new one using up to date parts.
Been doing my usual tweaking and overclock routine so haven't
had much time to play camera boy the last few days.

From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:45:43 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
: On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper
: <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
:
: >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
: >
:
: >
[...]

I liked that picture a lot. It particularly complemented the ones my wife and
I submitted, because we didn't manage to get both a raging waterfall and
actual flooding in the same shot.

Bob
From: Peter on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message

> That's when I left the camera club, I understood that when entering a
> photo
> to be judge you were being judged on the package which included the mount.
> I could see their point but didn't necessarily agree with it.

In all of life we are judged by the package. While there are exceptions, how
far would you get when applying for a job wearing an unkempt dirty shirt,
with food stains all over it.

How much more do we pay for the same food when it is "presented," instead of
slopped on a plate. Think sushi bar, v. cafeteria. etc.

OTOH I certainly agree that camera club "standards" can inhibit art.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-04-13 22:20:03 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
> said:
>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>

>> Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
>> thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
>> amateurish. Love the dog. The third shot is amusing enough to be a
>> good catch.
>
> I thought you might be amused by "vessles" & "mussles" ;-)
> Monterey County Parks & Recreation were appropriately embarrassed when I
> told a ranger of the goof. He got the one misspelling, "vessles" but
> wasn't sure about the other until I pointed out another California
> Department of Fish & Game sign he was standing next to, which detailed the
> menace of the "Quagga mussel." It took them another two days to get it
> fixed.

I can't find my shot, but I saw a sign that said: "Beware of ticks. They
bite infectious people."
When while pointing to the sign, I told a park ranger I was safe, because I
had no infections, he had no clue as to what I was saying.

--
Peter