From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>
> The Coe Family - Grouping them together, all interesting shots of
> water where it shouldn't be (with one exception), but taken with a
> good eye to what else is in the shot. I hope Mr Sisker sees Martha's
> gristmill photo to see how a shot like this should be composed.

Bob_Coe1 creates an interesting mood. I would like it a lot better if the
foreground on the left was less bright. somehow I think it's distracting. At
first I had a problem with the ladder on the building, but decided it tells
a story.

--
Peter

From: Bowser on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:02:00 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:45:43 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>: On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper
>: <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>:
>: >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>: >
>:
>: >
>: >Bowser - Love coke machine. That mass of bright color against the
>: >background is effective. I'd crop the right side with that whitish
>: >area. It competes with the coke machine. The man on the rocks
>: >doesn't really have a central point of focus. The flood scene right
>: >up there with the Coe's shots.
>:
>: The contrast of the Coke machine against the background was what drew
>: me to that shot. Of course, if I was able to get there during the fire
>: it would have been quite a shot, but the FD closed the roads due to
>: the intensity of the fire.
>:
>: I guess the guy on the rocks worked better when I was there, watching
>: him and his wife ignore the warnings of many of us and get (nearly)
>: knocked off the rocks by a big roller. It was cold and windy, they got
>: soaked, we were all amused.
>:
>: The water shot worked for me because of the uniqueness of the
>: situation, and the colors. Somewhat flat, but kind of "earthy" and
>: muted. The water is down now, fortunately. I posted a copy of this pic
>: in the local general store, and got about 500 requests for prints. The
>: locals love floods, I guess.
>
>I liked that picture a lot. It particularly complemented the ones my wife and
>I submitted, because we didn't manage to get both a raging waterfall and
>actual flooding in the same shot.
>
>Bob

We did get dumped on, didn't we? I'm looking forward to a long dry
spell...

I hope.
From: Peter on
"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:02:00 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:45:43 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>>: On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:20:03 -0400, tony cooper
>>: <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>:
>>: >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>>: >
>>:
>>: >
>>: >Bowser - Love coke machine. That mass of bright color against the
>>: >background is effective. I'd crop the right side with that whitish
>>: >area. It competes with the coke machine. The man on the rocks
>>: >doesn't really have a central point of focus. The flood scene right
>>: >up there with the Coe's shots.
>>:
>>: The contrast of the Coke machine against the background was what drew
>>: me to that shot. Of course, if I was able to get there during the fire
>>: it would have been quite a shot, but the FD closed the roads due to
>>: the intensity of the fire.
>>:
>>: I guess the guy on the rocks worked better when I was there, watching
>>: him and his wife ignore the warnings of many of us and get (nearly)
>>: knocked off the rocks by a big roller. It was cold and windy, they got
>>: soaked, we were all amused.
>>:
>>: The water shot worked for me because of the uniqueness of the
>>: situation, and the colors. Somewhat flat, but kind of "earthy" and
>>: muted. The water is down now, fortunately. I posted a copy of this pic
>>: in the local general store, and got about 500 requests for prints. The
>>: locals love floods, I guess.
>>
>>I liked that picture a lot. It particularly complemented the ones my wife
>>and
>>I submitted, because we didn't manage to get both a raging waterfall and
>>actual flooding in the same shot.
>>
>>Bob
>
> We did get dumped on, didn't we? I'm looking forward to a long dry
> spell...
>
> I hope.

Not too long, we all hope. I would not like the Ipswich Wadi.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_the_sahara_desert_a_ocean

--
Peter

From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:31:51 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
wrote:
: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: news:tihas59h0cl8tafd866v327hj5k9sof05n(a)4ax.com...
: > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
: >
: > The Coe Family - Grouping them together, all interesting shots of
: > water where it shouldn't be (with one exception), but taken with a
: > good eye to what else is in the shot. I hope Mr Sisker sees Martha's
: > gristmill photo to see how a shot like this should be composed.
:
: Bob_Coe1 creates an interesting mood. I would like it a lot better if the
: foreground on the left was less bright. somehow I think it's distracting. At
: first I had a problem with the ladder on the building, but decided it tells
: a story.

I couldn't figure out the function of the ladder. The basement, if any, of the
house was obviously flooded, but I don't think the first floor was. The ladder
seemed to be there in case one had to get in and out through the second floor
window, but in those conditions the only way to get to the house at all would
have been by boat.

If I'd had my druthers, I think I'd have cropped the ladder out. But I would
have lost too much of the house.

A week (and a couple more inches of rain) after I took that picture, my wife
and I went back to the spot to see if anything had changed. (She tells me that
in the meantime every TV station in Boston had been there.) The water has
actually a little higher and had come around to the left of the house. But the
highway department had put out big orange cones, etc., so the photo ops were
not as good.

Bob