From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-13 22:20:03 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there

> Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
> thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
> amateurish. Love the dog. The third shot is amusing enough to be a
> good catch.

I thought you might be amused by "vessles" & "mussles" ;-)
Monterey County Parks & Recreation were appropriately embarrassed when
I told a ranger of the goof. He got the one misspelling, "vessles" but
wasn't sure about the other until I pointed out another California
Department of Fish & Game sign he was standing next to, which detailed
the menace of the "Quagga mussel." It took them another two days to get
it fixed.

> Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
> my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
> Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
> border (Select All>Edit>Stroke) I think it makes the photo more
> distinct on the page.
>
> I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
> border, or does it make any difference?

I think some sort of border, or "digital matte" can present some images better.

Thanks for the crit.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:09:25 -0700, "John Sisker"
<jsisker(a)sprynet.com> wrote:

>Tony,
>
>I did see Martha's gristmill photo, but wasn't that impressed for some
>reason. Thought the background was a little over exposed. Most shots had a
>depressing, dreary look to them. Of course, with the flooding, that is what
>this is all about. I liked the one with the guy fishing, but would have
>liked to see more of the fisherman itself, maybe as another shot.

I might have run the gristmill shot through "Shadows/Highlights" with
a kick to the midtones in Photoshop. It's not over-exposure of the
background, but that the sun's behind the building (see the shadow of
the pine tree) so the face is in shadow. It's the composition,
though, that I was thinking of in the comparison to your shot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Charles E Hardwidge on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
> border, or does it make any difference?

You have to ask yourself what that design element achieves within the
broader scheme. It's a judgement call but I don't think it works in this
context nor is there an big enough justification for that particular photo.

FU trimmed to alt.photography

--
Charles E Hardwidge
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:28:27 +0100, "Charles E Hardwidge"
<boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
>> border, or does it make any difference?
>
>You have to ask yourself what that design element achieves within the
>broader scheme. It's a judgement call but I don't think it works in this
>context nor is there an big enough justification for that particular photo.

What particular photo? I do it on all, and was asking about photos in
general.

>FU trimmed to alt.photography

FU restored.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Tim Conway on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there
>
> Tim Conway - Frankly, I think the Coe's pulled off flood pictures
> better. Tighter on the raft might have worked better. I could see
> cropping off the entire right side from the white shed and enough of
> the left to make a square format. The second shot doesn't say
> "flood", but we know from the other pictures that it is "flood".

I like your idea of cropping at the white shed. These really were just grab
shots of the running high Susquehanna River in PA.

> Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
> my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
> Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
> border (Select All>Edit>Stroke) I think it makes the photo more
> distinct on the page.
>
> I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
> border, or does it make any difference?

I don't think it really matters. A point to consider is that in museums and
exhibits, a lot of photos on display have white mats so a white border is in
pretty good company.