From: Bob Smith on
JuNNi wrote:
> Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used for
> professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??

Linux of course. And, if I might add, using vi and make.

OK, the "of course" applies only to me, but I didn't want
to switch to Windows to do FPGA development so I took the
time to figure out what ISE was doing under the covers and
found that all the real work is done by programs that can
be invoked at the command line. Eventually I was able to
even build a makefile for my project.

I wrote an article for Nuts & Volts magazine describing how
to use command line tools and makefiles for FPGA development.
The article is at
http://www.demandperipherals.com/docs/CmdLineFPGA.pdf

I had a little trouble getting the proprietary JTAG drivers
to work under Linux, so when I designed my board (Baseboard4)
I made it so you could download the FPGA code to a USB-serial
port using just a 'cat' command.

It turns out that the command line approach works as well
under Windows as it does under Linux, if that is of any use
to you.

thanks
Bob Smith
From: Bob Smith on

From: d_s_klein on
On Mar 2, 8:14 am, Bob Smith <bsm...(a)linuxtoys.org> wrote:
> JuNNi wrote:
> > Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used for
> > professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??
>
> Linux of course.   And, if I might add, using vi and make.
>
> OK, the "of course" applies only to me, but I didn't want
> to switch to Windows to do FPGA development so I took the
> time to figure out what ISE was doing under the covers and
> found that all the real work is done by programs that can
> be invoked at the command line.  Eventually I was able to
> even build a makefile for my project.
>
> I wrote an article for Nuts & Volts magazine describing how
> to use command line tools and makefiles for FPGA development.
> The article is at
>    http://www.demandperipherals.com/docs/CmdLineFPGA.pdf
>
> I had a little trouble getting the proprietary JTAG drivers
> to work under Linux, so when I designed my board (Baseboard4)
> I made it so you could download the FPGA code to a USB-serial
> port using just a 'cat' command.
>
> It turns out that the command line approach works as well
> under Windows as it does under Linux, if that is of any use
> to you.
>
> thanks
> Bob Smith

Bob,

XST supports having the 'run' command in a script file, so the echo-
>pipe technique is not needed.

$.02,
RK