From: JuNNi on
Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used for
professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: RCIngham on
>Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used
for
>professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??

All the places I have worked at (in UK) have used Windows. Some have also
used Unix/Linux. I would be surprised if no Linux-only shops existed.

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: James Salisbury on
JuNNi wrote:
> Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used for
> professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com

Hi,

Altera support Vista 32 bit, XP 32 bit and some Linux. If you use the
free web edition
https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp
on a modern fast PC (less that 2 years old) and with at least 2 GB of
ram you should be fine for learning about FPGAs.

James
From: Thomas Stanka on
On 22 Feb., 14:12, "JuNNi" <m_junaid_muzam...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am a beginner at FPGA. I had a query that which platform is used for
> professional digital designs. Is it linux or windows??

For normal FPGA Design Windows is common, as some (backend-) FPGA
tools are either Windows only or show better performance under
Windows.
For general digital design (and especially frontend of code entry and
simulation) professionals use often Linux/Solaris when it comes to
complex and large designs.

One reason for using Linux/Solaris is, that handling of large designs
requires often more than 2GB memory, but especially those tools
mentioned above that are Windows only or show bad performance under
Linux tend to be Win32 only or show bad performance in Win64 server
systems.
A rule of thumb: simple free starter kits are more on the Windows
side, professional tools could be better used on Linux Server.

bye Thomas

From: Petter Gustad on
Thomas Stanka <usenet_nospam_valid(a)stanka-web.de> writes:

> For normal FPGA Design Windows is common, as some (backend-) FPGA
> tools are either Windows only or show better performance under
> Windows.

Which tools do you have in mind here?

> For general digital design (and especially frontend of code entry and
> simulation) professionals use often Linux/Solaris when it comes to
> complex and large designs.

Especially if you're using Synopsys tools.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?