From: Ant on
"Turnipweed" wrote:

> It's too bad the fake AV's are so hard to fix, and the fixes are not
> real trustworthy.

If you rely on other software to make the fixes then you'll never be
sure it's fixed. What you should have is a good understanding of the
OS, especially the registry and load points for drivers and user-land
executables and a good set of tools for diagnostics - including the
ability to boot a different OS (e.g. a Linux live CD) to inspect an
infected Windows system disk. Then, with access to the machine, you
manually make the changes yourself.

> If someone was really ambitious and honest, they could get rich (or
> at least famous).

Not with an off-the-shelf software fix.

What needs to be fixed (educated) are the users who install this
malware so they stop doing it.

From: Turnipweed on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:40:52 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Yeah, what we really need is more laws, so the lawyers can become even
>richer. :)

Sounds as though you dislike lawyers more than viruses. That makes 2
of us. ;)

>PS: Anyhow, the free version of MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) and the free
>version of SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) are both excellent programs that, it
>sounds like, you might find very useful!

I appreciate the kind offer, but I already have them. They are among
the main programs I use against the despised fake AV's. My favorite
tools are FDisk and Format, if my friends have a Windows disk.

Happy New Year,,,

From: Turnipweed on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:28:02 -0000, "Ant" <not(a)home.today> wrote:

>If you rely on other software to make the fixes then you'll never be
>sure it's fixed. What you should have is a good understanding of the
>OS, especially the registry and load points for drivers and user-land
>executables and a good set of tools for diagnostics - including the
>ability to boot a different OS (e.g. a Linux live CD) to inspect an
>infected Windows system disk. Then, with access to the machine, you
>manually make the changes yourself.

Lots of times I remove the drive, and plug it into my own machine by
USB adapter. MBAM, SAS, and a couple of other scanners usually knock
it out, though it's way too time consuming. If my friend or relative
has proper backups and a Windows disk, I can do a clean windows
install in an hour. It sometimes takes me 2 or 3 hours to try and
salvage the OS.

>> If someone was really ambitious and honest, they could get rich (or
>> at least famous).
>
>Not with an off-the-shelf software fix.
>
>What needs to be fixed (educated) are the users who install this
>malware so they stop doing it.

Very true. I have educated many people on this, but they still fail.

Know why?

Because they get tired of clicking on the popups from their AV and AS
programs and turn it off. At least that's what most of them tell me.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,,,
From: Buffalo on

Turnipweed wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:40:52 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>> Yeah, what we really need is more laws, so the lawyers can become
>> even richer. :)
>
> Sounds as though you dislike lawyers more than viruses. That makes 2
> of us. ;)
>
>> PS: Anyhow, the free version of MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) and
>> the free version of SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) are both excellent
>> programs that, it sounds like, you might find very useful!
>
> I appreciate the kind offer, but I already have them. They are among
> the main programs I use against the despised fake AV's. My favorite
> tools are FDisk and Format, if my friends have a Windows disk.
>
> Happy New Year,,,

Yep, FDisk and Format are two tools that really work when all others fail;
many times it is the quickest also.
Buffalo

From: "nobody >" on
Buffalo wrote:
> Turnipweed wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:40:52 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah, what we really need is more laws, so the lawyers can become
>>> even richer. :)
>> Sounds as though you dislike lawyers more than viruses. That makes 2
>> of us. ;)
>>
>>> PS: Anyhow, the free version of MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) and
>>> the free version of SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) are both excellent
>>> programs that, it sounds like, you might find very useful!
>> I appreciate the kind offer, but I already have them. They are among
>> the main programs I use against the despised fake AV's. My favorite
>> tools are FDisk and Format, if my friends have a Windows disk.
>>
>> Happy New Year,,,
>
> Yep, FDisk and Format are two tools that really work when all others fail;
> many times it is the quickest also.
> Buffalo

Even better.. ClearHDD.exe
It's ancient, but it blows away the MBR faster than FDISK or any
partition editor

http://downloads.uol.com.br/windows/utilitarios/clear_hdd.jhtm

(Samsung used to have it on their "disk utilities" page, but probably
pulled it after a n00b bombed his hard drive with it)