From: FromTheRafters on
"The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Virus versus malware is just a detail to the average user. Do your
> parents
> or my parents know the difference? I doubt it.

That has nothing to do with the *fact* that they are different group
entities and different methods are used to address them.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Virus versus malware is just a detail to the average user. Do your
>> parents or my parents know the difference? I doubt it.
>
> it's an important detail. Same as knowing which side is positive and
> which
> is negative on a battery; you only get one chance in some cases to
> connect
> something correctly; or the magic smoke comes out. This is the same
> idea.
>
> We don't deal with viruses, it's not the focus of our program; without
> seperate antivirus, your not as safe as you could be. Users even
> average
> ones need to be educated.

As an aside, MBAM just (apparently) FPed on my:

C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS\ACCSUPT\as_setup.ex2 file.

From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Actually it seems more like infinitesimal points of details for experts to
pontificate about.

The potential is you are equally hosed with a virus as you are with malware.

From: FromTheRafters on
> Actually it seems more like infinitesimal points of details for
> experts to
> pontificate about.

Yes, it does seem that way to those that don't (and perhaps can't)
understand what the difference is. When the term virus was coined for
self-replicating code, it caught on and became a buzz word for anything
that can go wrong with a computer. Despite that, the definition still
stands. No amount of crying will repeal that.

> The potential is you are equally hosed with a virus as you are with
> malware.

Most experts currently agree that all viruses are indeed malware (and
they are wrong). The fact is that a virus need not be malicious - and in
fact can be a boon to mankind in the future. A virus is a virus because
of what it does, not because of how people feel about the results - not
the same for malware because malware by definition is malicious.

[...]

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:hi30f6$bir$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Actually it seems more like infinitesimal points of details for
>> experts to
>> pontificate about.
>
> Yes, it does seem that way to those that don't (and perhaps can't)
> understand what the difference is. When the term virus was coined for
> self-replicating code, it caught on and became a buzz word for anything
> that can go wrong with a computer. Despite that, the definition still
> stands. No amount of crying will repeal that.
>
>> The potential is you are equally hosed with a virus as you are with
>> malware.
>
> Most experts currently agree that all viruses are indeed malware (and
> they are wrong). The fact is that a virus need not be malicious - and
in
> fact can be a boon to mankind in the future. A virus is a virus because
> of what it does, not because of how people feel about the results - not
> the same for malware because malware by definition is malicious.
>
> [...]

And, malware is sometimes much easier to clean up. A fine example would
be the rogue program known as internetsecurity(antivirus)2010; it's an
annoyance, but not too difficult. A virus on the other hand, can be a
real pisser; it has self replicating code; and it could be inside
hundreds of files on your system by the time you notice something is
amiss.

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...