From: Billabong on

"Turnipweed" <me(a)pit.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:28:02 -0000, "Ant" <not(a)home.today> wrote:
>

>>If you rely on other software to make the fixes then you'll never be
>>sure it's fixed. What you should have is a good understanding of the
>>OS, especially the registry and load points for drivers and user-land
>>executables and a good set of tools for diagnostics - including the
>>ability to boot a different OS (e.g. a Linux live CD) to inspect an
>>infected Windows system disk. Then, with access to the machine, you
>>manually make the changes yourself.
>
> Lots of times I remove the drive, and plug it into my own machine by
> USB adapter. MBAM, SAS, and a couple of other scanners usually knock
> it out, though it's way too time consuming. If my friend or relative
> has proper backups and a Windows disk, I can do a clean windows
> install in an hour. It sometimes takes me 2 or 3 hours to try and
> salvage the OS.
>
>>> If someone was really ambitious and honest, they could get rich (or
>>> at least famous).
>>
>>Not with an off-the-shelf software fix.
>>
>>What needs to be fixed (educated) are the users who install this
>>malware so they stop doing it.
>
> Very true. I have educated many people on this, but they still fail.
>
> Know why?
>
> Because they get tired of clicking on the popups from their AV and AS
> programs and turn it off. At least that's what most of them tell me.
>
> Thanks, and Happy New Year,,,

That same was with me; I have MBAM too. I could not believe that so many
viruses could be there and turned it off, which turned into disaster. I
still feel that MBAM is overdoing, I cannot believe that even Yahoo or
Google have flaws.

From: Slarty on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:59:41 +0800, Billabong wrote:

> That same was with me; I have MBAM too. I could not believe that so many
> viruses could be there and turned it off, which turned into disaster. I
> still feel that MBAM is overdoing, I cannot believe that even Yahoo or
> Google have flaws.

I do hope that you don't seriously believe that? Some 'flaws' are probably
not accidental either, a cynic writes.

Cheers,

Roy

From: FromTheRafters on
"Billabong" <info(a)osvrt.net> wrote in message

> Before I had other anti-virus software and my computer was behaving in
> a way that I was anything but glad; but I got used to all that. When I
> installed MBAM, I thought if cannot be sinply true; if so many viruses
> are there, how was my computer able to work? I actually did not know
> what to do: to delete them or not? Today computer runs like a rocket,
> but still there might be some of the malicious items in the Yahoo or
> Gmail, and Google too. I shall try another AV to see if it is a false
> positive.

You seem to be confusing "virus" with "malware". MBAM does not address
viruses (except peripherally) and is not a replacement for AV software.
It is best to have *both* available.

From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Virus versus malware is just a detail to the average user. Do your parents
or my parents know the difference? I doubt it.

From: Dustin Cook on
"The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote in

> Virus versus malware is just a detail to the average user. Do your
> parents or my parents know the difference? I doubt it.

it's an important detail. Same as knowing which side is positive and which
is negative on a battery; you only get one chance in some cases to connect
something correctly; or the magic smoke comes out. This is the same idea.

We don't deal with viruses, it's not the focus of our program; without a
seperate antivirus, your not as safe as you could be. Users even average
ones need to be educated.

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...