From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-15, Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:44:14 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
>>> You need to make the URL for the file as follows:
>>>
>>> mysite.com/getfile.asp?SUBID=123456789
>>>
>>> In the ASP file, which uses VBScript, you check the subscriber ID and use
>>> If/Then/Else. You can make the ID a very long random number, so guessing
>>> it would be difficult.
>>
>>Below is an ASP script sample. To try it, save it as "test.asp" and upload
>>it to a Windows based host, then enter the URL like the following:
>>
>>mysite.com/getfile.asp?SubID=1234
>>
>>Some of the code came from this site:
>>
>>http://www.learnasp.com/freebook/asp/
>>
>>The code below does simple checks. If you want it to check a database, see
>>"Databases" section in the link above for code samples. If you have a
>>Unix/Linux host, then you have to use something else, like PHP. Fortunately,
>>PHP runs on Windows, so you can test the script on a Windows machine, then
>>upload it to Unix/Linux host without modifications(Except CR/LF conversion
>>which is handled by most FTP software). See this site for PHP help:
>>
>>http://www.php.net
>>
>>Here is the ASP file:

>><head>
>><TITLE>Test</TITLE>
>></head>
>><%
>>Option Explicit
>>
>>Dim SubID, fs, filename, f, s
>>
>>SubID=request.querystring("SubID")
>>
>>If SubID = "1234" Or SubID "1235" Then
>> ' Subscriber is black listed
>> Response.write "Access denied."
>>Else
>> ' Valid subscriber, send the file
>>
>> filename=server.mappath("/datafile.txt")
>> Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>> Set f = fs.OpenTextFile(filename, 1, False)
>> s=f.readall
>> response.write s
>> f.Close
>> set f=nothing
>> set fs=nothing
>>End If
>>%>
>>

> I use an Apache server.
>
> Thanks anyway. :)
>
> Webbiz

So... That above would be a fairly easy perl, python, or even shell script.
It's the idea that matters, right?

--
Tom Shelton
From: mayayana on

> I use an Apache server.

Tom's right. It may not be worth it..it may
not be realistically doable...but it's probably
worth checking out. Most hosts provide PHP
support. I don't have much experience with
it myself, but I've found that there's a lot
available online in terms of free scripts. You
may be able to just use a simple script that
parses the URL and then adds an include with
the download link.

From: Dee Earley on
On 12/03/2010 19:40, Webbiz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:35:34 +0000, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2010 23:36, Webbiz wrote:

>>> Effectively lying? You're kidding, right?
>>>
>>> Would it really make a difference if I told you the name is really
>>> GoobleryGook.exe? :-)
>>
>> It least it is slightly less obvious that you are giving us false
>> information...
>
> The name of the application is not important in order to ask or answer
> questions. All details pertinent are provided. The names have been
> changed to protect the innocent.<g>

Then 'My app uses a sub folder under "Program Files"' would have given
us exactly the same information.

>> For future reference, for us to help, we really need accurate information.
>> Munged or obfuscated information and code just means it is harder for us
>> to get to the bottom of something, to the point of us not being bothered
>> to help.
>
> See above.<g>

Yes, but details matter.
I have dealt with many people that obfuscate their code so I can't tell
the name of their product and in doing so, completely remove the real
cause for the problem or change how the code operates.

http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/User:Dee/I_changed_the_code

I'm trying to make the point that it is normally a bad idea to do this,
and while I do agree that some people may be special enough to not
change anything relevant, it's still annoying.

>> Is it really such a secret application that you can't even mention it's
>> name when trying to get someone to help you with said application?
>
> Everyone has a right to privacy. While the world would not end if the
> names of the applications were posted on the newsgroup, I'd prefer
> that they are not.

Then don't be specific, As above, a "My app install under Program Files"
is a perfectly good description.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Webbiz on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:30:31 -0700, Tom Shelton
<tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:

>On 2010-03-15, Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:44:14 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message

>>>Below is an ASP script sample. To try it, save it as "test.asp" and upload
>>>it to a Windows based host, then enter the URL like the following:
>>>
>>>mysite.com/getfile.asp?SubID=1234
>>>
>>>Some of the code came from this site:
>>>
>>>http://www.learnasp.com/freebook/asp/
>>>
>>>The code below does simple checks. If you want it to check a database, see
>>>"Databases" section in the link above for code samples. If you have a
>>>Unix/Linux host, then you have to use something else, like PHP. Fortunately,
>>>PHP runs on Windows, so you can test the script on a Windows machine, then
>>>upload it to Unix/Linux host without modifications(Except CR/LF conversion
>>>which is handled by most FTP software). See this site for PHP help:
>>>
>>>http://www.php.net
>>>
>>>Here is the ASP file:

>>><head>
>>><TITLE>Test</TITLE>
>>></head>
>>><%
>>>Option Explicit
>>>
>>>Dim SubID, fs, filename, f, s
>>>
>>>SubID=request.querystring("SubID")
>>>
>>>If SubID = "1234" Or SubID "1235" Then
>>> ' Subscriber is black listed
>>> Response.write "Access denied."
>>>Else
>>> ' Valid subscriber, send the file
>>>
>>> filename=server.mappath("/datafile.txt")
>>> Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>>> Set f = fs.OpenTextFile(filename, 1, False)
>>> s=f.readall
>>> response.write s
>>> f.Close
>>> set f=nothing
>>> set fs=nothing
>>>End If
>>>%>
>>>

>> I use an Apache server.
>>
>> Thanks anyway. :)
>>
>> Webbiz
>
>So... That above would be a fairly easy perl, python, or even shell script.
>It's the idea that matters, right?

I guess. Considering I have no idea how to do perl or python, it's a
bet hard to say. <g>

Webbiz

From: Webbiz on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:41:58 -0500, "mayayana"
<mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> I use an Apache server.
>>
> Tom's right. It may not be worth it..it may
>not be realistically doable...but it's probably
>worth checking out. Most hosts provide PHP
>support. I don't have much experience with
>it myself, but I've found that there's a lot
>available online in terms of free scripts. You
>may be able to just use a simple script that
>parses the URL and then adds an include with
>the download link.

Yes, my site uses PHP for its webpages so its definitely supported.

Wish I had the time to learn the stuff. Had it done professionally.

But let's talk VB6. Is it possible to write an app that can log into a
website forum? Is the only way to do this is with ASP?

Webbiz