From: mayayana on
> But let's talk VB6. Is it possible to write an app that can log into a
> website forum? Is the only way to do this is with ASP?

I suppose you can go either way: server-side
with PHP or client-side with VB. I don't know
anything about forums. It's possible to write
VB code that carries out the server conversation
directly. I've done that for downloading and for
SMTP email. But you'd need to know the details
of what the server expects.

I think PHP is worth looking into, though. I
think you can get the path in their browser with
something like: getenv("HTTP_HOST")
It's simple to add an include, which just inserts
the content of a text file into the code before
serving the page:

<?php include("downlink.inc"); ?>

The include file can have your download link.

With that you'd just need to parse the URL
and check it against a file list. It's not always
easy to find the PHP snippets you need, but
it should all be out there for the finding, since
parsing URL parameters is a very common
occurence.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
>> I was guessing you may need to set a mime-type on the server to solve
>> the problem you originally posted about. Could also be related to the
>> browser being used. Have you tried other download methods? If you
>> have a link, I'm sure others here would be willing to try snatching a
>> copy, to see what happens and what might be learned from that.
>
> I gave up. It turned out to be a Mime issue and a subject I don't
> think I have a lot of time to become expert about.

There's no need to become an expert at it. Do you have access to the
server? If not, there's *definitely* no need to learn much at all.

For an indeterminate binary format, I believe you can just use
"application/octet-stream" as the mime type. That's really all there
is to it.

That and finding how to set it on your web server. For example, in
IIS6:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/cd72c0dc-c5b8-42e4-96c2-b3c656f99ead.mspx?mfr=true

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
> I use an Apache server.

Setting MIME for Apache
http://www.flashcentral.com/Tech/Server/Apache.htm

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Nobody on
"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
> Yes, my site uses PHP for its webpages so its definitely supported.
>
> Wish I had the time to learn the stuff. Had it done professionally.
>
> But let's talk VB6. Is it possible to write an app that can log into a
> website forum? Is the only way to do this is with ASP?

You could do it this way, but the password could be intercepted:

mysite.com/getfile.php?UserID=1234&Pass=abc

Here is a PHP version of the ASP script, modified slightly. It assumes that
there are no HTML tags in the data file. The same applies to ASP, which
support "include". Save the script below as "getfile.php" and upload it
using FTP ASCII mode. How to access it:

mysite.com/getfile.php?SubID=1234

<head>
<TITLE>Test</TITLE>
</head>
<?php

$SubID=$_GET["SubID"];

if ($SubID=="1234" or $SubID=="1235") {
// Subscriber is black listed
echo "Access denied.";
} else {
// Valid subscriber, send the file
echo "Access granted.";
include 'datafile.txt';
}
?>

PHP Documentation:
http://www.php.net/docs.php

I recommend that you use PSPad freeware because it adds syntax color
highlighting to virtually all languages and script files.

http://www.pspad.com

From: Webbiz on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:54:17 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>>> I was guessing you may need to set a mime-type on the server to solve
>>> the problem you originally posted about. Could also be related to the
>>> browser being used. Have you tried other download methods? If you
>>> have a link, I'm sure others here would be willing to try snatching a
>>> copy, to see what happens and what might be learned from that.
>>
>> I gave up. It turned out to be a Mime issue and a subject I don't
>> think I have a lot of time to become expert about.
>
>There's no need to become an expert at it. Do you have access to the
>server? If not, there's *definitely* no need to learn much at all.
>
>For an indeterminate binary format, I believe you can just use
>"application/octet-stream" as the mime type. That's really all there
>is to it.
>
>That and finding how to set it on your web server. For example, in
>IIS6:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/cd72c0dc-c5b8-42e4-96c2-b3c656f99ead.mspx?mfr=true

Yes, I have access and yes I got it setup the other day.

Thanks. <g>

Webbiz