From: Wolfgang Enzinger on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:39:43 -0500, mayayana wrote:

> For registering a file type, look in the Registry.

Ready-to-use routines for this task can be found here:

Associate a file type
http://www.enzinger.net/en/FileAsso.html

From: GS on
Webbiz has brought this to us :
> [...]
>>>
>>> Webbiz
>>
>> I do exactly the same thing with my apps, whereby users who "subscribe"
>> for Upgrade Assurance Protection can receive app upgrades for free
>> along with 24/7 user support. This (UAP) is renewable annually so that
>> users may opt out if they don't want it any longer. My apps manage this
>> by evaluating the "HasUAP" property of the license profile to verify
>> that the subscription has not expired. This is determined by evaluating
>> the HasUAP property "value" against the current date, meaning THE
>> property VALUE is the expiry date of the subscription. For example, if
>> the license profile contains a future date (i.e.: HasUAP=10/24/2010)
>> then the feature is enabled. I actually have a dedicated field in the
>> license profile for this feature so it can be read directly, but it
>> could also be implemented in other ways like using a property=value
>> pair as shown here.
>>
>> This puts the choice of continuing the service entirely in the hands of
>> the user. My apps notify users on startup 30 days before this feature
>> expires. This happens only once so as not to annoy them every time they
>> run the app. It also notifies once when expired.
>>

>> <<I would love to have the application download this file from the
>> website automatically. It's easy to do. But I don't know how to
>> restrict non-clients who have my app from also getting the file.>>
>> It appears as though you are interested in keeping things 'low
>> maintenance' for yourself and so is the reason I'm suggesting this
>> approach. You only have to issue the license key as you normally would.
>> In the case of a new subscriber, you simply issue an upgraded license
>> key once you've been paid. Your apps can manage it all automatically
>> because the process is built-in. You could manage the users however you
>> like (i.e.: weekly subscription, monthly, yearly, fixed term, etc) by
>> inserting the expiry date in the license profile.
>

> I still don't see how this would work with what I'm need to do.
> Subscribers do not have expiration dates. When they join, it is an
> opened ended subscription much like joining the gym. As long as you
> make the monthly dues your subscription keeps going.
>
> At some point, however, someone will cancel the subscription. When
> that happens, I have no way of making the user get a new license for
> the app that disables the ability to use the download file.
>
> For what I need to work, I must be able to disable their apps ability
> immediately upon cancellation of service.
>
> Perhaps what I could do is create a file online that serves as a
> 'table' of subscribers. It would contain the User name that the
> program is licensed to. If the user is in the file table the app will
> know where to find and download what it needs. If the client cancels
> later, we can edit that table and remove the User name.
>
> It would be one more thing I would have to do of course, editing this
> table for new and leaving clients. But it is one approach.

I see! So your subscriptions are "on demand" and based on the user
paying the monthly fee. My suggestion clearly won't work for that.

If you already have a 'login' solution to manage who can access the
download file then there's nothing to do.

I see that Nobody has a good idea for automating the process from your
app, that looks more appropriate. In any case, I assume you always have
to keep the website login .htaccess updated accordingly to restrict who
can download. Nobody's suggestion also requires maintaining a website
access list (or black list) so nothing saved here. But at least your
users won't have to physically log onto your site anymore.

I'm curious.., -can users login and pay for the download online as a
one-time thing? Or do they have to prepay for a given period?
--

Garry

From: Webbiz on

I use an Apache server.

Thanks anyway. :)

Webbiz
From: Webbiz on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:37:08 -0400, GS <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> :-)
>> Webbiz
>
>I see! So your subscriptions are "on demand" and based on the user
>paying the monthly fee. My suggestion clearly won't work for that.
>
>If you already have a 'login' solution to manage who can access the
>download file then there's nothing to do.
>
>I see that Nobody has a good idea for automating the process from your
>app, that looks more appropriate. In any case, I assume you always have
>to keep the website login .htaccess updated accordingly to restrict who
>can download. Nobody's suggestion also requires maintaining a website
>access list (or black list) so nothing saved here. But at least your
>users won't have to physically log onto your site anymore.
>
>I'm curious.., -can users login and pay for the download online as a
>one-time thing? Or do they have to prepay for a given period?

It's a membership. Payment is made in advance and due each month.

The download is from the Discus forum. So it doesn't use .htaccess.

:-)
Webbiz
From: Webbiz on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:12:05 +0100, Wolfgang Enzinger
<usenet200812(a)temporaryforwarding.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:39:43 -0500, mayayana wrote:
>
>> For registering a file type, look in the Registry.
>
>Ready-to-use routines for this task can be found here:
>
>Associate a file type
>http://www.enzinger.net/en/FileAsso.html

Thanks!

Webbiz