From: Helmut Meukel on

"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm considering creating a folder under the user's DOCUMENTS
> directory.
>
> How do you get the PATH to the users DOCUMENTS directory regardless of
> what version of Windows they are running on?
>
> XP appears to be "Documents and Settings" and Windows 7 is "Library"?
>
> A tad confused.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Webbiz

Read Karl's article.

Said this I must confess as a programmer I never used those locations.
I always stored the data on separate partitions, in most cases on separate
drives. But...
I set up those boxes, they were used mostly for my programs, so I set
the permissions accordingly. I even disabled TCP/IP on all PCs attached
to machines and used NetBEUI instead to separate the PCs on the
factory floor easily from others in the same physical network. Hidden
shares for the data directories and UNC paths to access the data. ...

OTOH, as a user I hate those ignorant american programmers whose
programs create folders named "Programs", "Common Files",
"Documents and Settings", "Application Data", etc. on my german
system instead to use the existing folders "Programme", "Gemeinsame
Dateien", "Dokumente und Einstellungen", "Anwendungsdaten", etc.

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
> However, I still can't find an answer to my FileType issue. I need to
> somehow register my filetype of .fdr with Windows OS as associated
> with my app. I don't want to have to have the user do this manually.

If you are using Inno Setup, start ISTool and use Project-->Create
Association. If you are using PDW, try searching MSDN library for "shell
association" or "file association". You would get less results than you
would find in Google.

From: Webbiz on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:34:51 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>> The problem of finding the path to Documents is solved. It wasn't as
>> big a deal as I had thought.
>
>Good.
>
>> However, I still can't find an answer to my FileType issue. I need to
>> somehow register my filetype of .fdr with Windows OS as associated
>> with my app.
>
>That's *not* what you said in your initial post! My sense is you're
>assuming you know what the problem is, but not really. That's always
>going to be trouble. If you're not sure what the difference is between
>what you just said, and what you originally said, ask. If you are,
>please clarify what you're *really* after.

Yes that is what I said. Why the drill Karl?

Quote from original post:

"Problem: When the user goes to download this file, it shows up in the
download directory dialog as "myfile.unk". In other words, it has the
..unk filetype because my Windows system does not know what a .fdr file
is.

Is there a way via code to add the .fdr filetype to the system?"

Same problem. My system does not recognize the .fdr filetype I'm using
for my download file. It defaults to .UNK when ask where to save the
file. I would like to show the actual filename "MyFile.fdr" when the
Save dialog opens up. To do that, .fdr needs to be added to the
filetypes that Windows understands.

How is what I just said, and what I said before, and what I said at
the very beginning different?

And if I knew what the problem was exactly I'd not have to ask for
help.

???

Webbiz
From: Webbiz on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:19:33 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
wrote:

>"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
>> However, I still can't find an answer to my FileType issue. I need to
>> somehow register my filetype of .fdr with Windows OS as associated
>> with my app. I don't want to have to have the user do this manually.
>
>If you are using Inno Setup, start ISTool and use Project-->Create
>Association. If you are using PDW, try searching MSDN library for "shell
>association" or "file association". You would get less results than you
>would find in Google.

I'm using Inno Setup 5.3.8. However, there is no ISTool in this app.
Did a search under Help and "No Topics Found" for ISTool. No Project
--> Create Association found in this app also.

From what you're saying, what I need to do is to be done in the
installation and not part of my app code. So I'm looking at the wrong
place to handle this.

Thanks.

Webbiz
From: Webbiz on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:52:40 -0800, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
wrote:

>"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
>> I've run into a little problem with my current project.
>>
>> I created a file and gave it my own filetype of .fdr.
>>
>> Problem: When the user goes to download this file, it shows up in the
>> download directory dialog as "myfile.unk". In other words, it has the
>> .unk filetype because my Windows system does not know what a .fdr file
>> is.
>>
>> Is there a way via code to add the .fdr filetype to the system?
>>

>> Problem 2:
>>
>> I want the user to download this .fdr file to his application
>> directory.
>
>Maybe the best option would be to create your own download utility, perhaps
>built in to the application itself.

Hey Bob.

I was thinking of doing that. However, the file to download is only
assessible to those who have access to my online private discussion
forum. The forum uses Discus as the platform and requires logging in
with Username and Password. Once logged in, the user can click a link
on the forum and download the file. If a person is no longer a client,
I don't want them to have access to the file.

Since logging into the Discus forum is required for access, and I am
not sure that is something I can build into a client app to do
automatically, I leave the downloading to be done manually.

:-)

Webbiz