From: mayayana on
I think if it were me I'd just put the file into an
updater SFX zip file. Put a small EXE in there
with it. Have the SFX unpack to TEMP and run the
EXE. (Most ZIP programs can do all of that for
you.) The EXE then just copies the file wherever
you want it to go. If you put "setup" in the file
name it will get admin rights. I think "update"
might also work.

That way people don't have to move the file
themselves and you don't have to explain it.
If you don't know where your program folder
is, look in the App Paths key. (Assuming you
registered during install. The PDW does that. I
don't know about Inno.)

That could introduce another issue, though:
People using a late model version of IE might
get warnings about the download, or even
have it blocked. Ditto with some anti-virus
software. But there's nothing you can do about
that. And anyone in such a situation has probably
long since stopped paying attention to the
warnings. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to
download much of anything. :)

For registering a file type, look in the Registry.
You'll want to make sure it's not a common
extension first. There are websites that list
all known assignments for a particular extension.
You should be able to find them via Google.
Then create a key:

HKCR\.fdr\

Pick a file type name, like FDRFile.

Set the default value to that string.

Create some more keys:

HKCR\FDRFile\

HKCR\FDRFile\DefaultIcon
def. value: path to file icon and number.
Ex.: "C:\Program Files\FDR App\FDR.exe,0"

HKCR\FDRFile\Shell\
HKCR\FDRFile\Shell\Open\

HKCR\FDRFile\Shell\Open\Command\
def. value: "C:\Program Files\FDR App\FDR.exe %1"

Those are the basics. You can see the other
typical options in the Registry. Typical additional
keys are Edit, Print, etc. They show up on the
context menu.

From: Webbiz on

Great! I like this idea.

Time to do a search on SFX.

Thanks!

Webbiz
From: mayayana on

> Everyone has a right to privacy. While the world would not end if the
> names of the applications were posted on the newsgroup, I'd prefer
> that they are not.

I'm with you. The real name has nothing to do
with anything in this thread. And while privacy
online is limited, we don't have to help the
corporate datamining by connecting all of the dots.

(Eric Schmidt's naive fascism notwithstanding:
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12/google-ceo-eric-schmidt-dismisses-priva
cy

)

From: mayayana on

> Time to do a search on SFX.

This is what I use. V. 6.11 is free without
restrictions. It's 9 years old now, but ZIP
hasn't changed much.

http://oldapps.com/powerarchiver.php

An SFX is just self-executing. Usually CAB
or ZIP. It works by attaching a small EXE
"stub" to the front-end of the file. That's what
a lot of MS downloads are. (You can tell by
the old-fashioned icon that shows a Win95-era
program window with an open yellow box in front.
It's sort of the old version of the newer icons
for setups that show a PC, with box and CD in
front.)

Oddly, Microsoft often uses an SFX CAB with
an SFX ZIP inside that!

The SFX stub unpacks the ZIP/CAB. Generally
there's also an option to run an EXE inside the ZIP
after unpacking.

You can actually get free stubs, and you can get
source code to write a custom one. But it's easier
to just use something like Power Archiver,
or another "full-featured" ZIP program. You
just make a zip and then create an SFX
from that.

From: Webbiz on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:13:03 -0500, "mayayana"
<mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Time to do a search on SFX.
>>

>This is what I use. V. 6.11 is free without
>restrictions. It's 9 years old now, but ZIP
>hasn't changed much.
>
>http://oldapps.com/powerarchiver.php
>
> An SFX is just self-executing. Usually CAB
>or ZIP. It works by attaching a small EXE
>"stub" to the front-end of the file. That's what
>a lot of MS downloads are. (You can tell by
>the old-fashioned icon that shows a Win95-era
>program window with an open yellow box in front.
>It's sort of the old version of the newer icons
>for setups that show a PC, with box and CD in
>front.)
>
> Oddly, Microsoft often uses an SFX CAB with
>an SFX ZIP inside that!
>
> The SFX stub unpacks the ZIP/CAB. Generally
>there's also an option to run an EXE inside the ZIP
>after unpacking.
>
> You can actually get free stubs, and you can get
>source code to write a custom one. But it's easier
>to just use something like Power Archiver,
>or another "full-featured" ZIP program. You
>just make a zip and then create an SFX
>from that.

I actually have a purchased copy of PowerArchiver 2010. Ran through
the SFX stuff and coded it for %DOCS%\MyProgramStuff.

The .exe file I created was uploaded to my private Discus forum which
produced a link.

Problem: When clicking on the link, it will not run the SFX exe from
the server itself. It asks where you want to download it. Having to
download this does not save any steps and still requires the user to
say where to download. This is a bummer.

Can't believe something that seems so simple is so difficult to do.

Thanks.

Webbiz