From: werty on

Much easier to choose better hardware , give up pulling your own teeth

Theres new h/w , much easier to program .. ARM cpu in all PDAs is

so much easier to work with , it will destroy IBM-PC and Intel Pentium

and Microsoft ... But it wont take long .....

When easy h/w gets open src s/w , it takes days , not years ...

Linux is obvioulsy NOT open s/w .

No one remembers the creator of truly Open s/w ( like Forth HLL )

Forth devastated assembly coders paychecks ....30,000 programmers

lost their jobs , they refused to use Forth in 1970 ....

Study , Study , Study

I did , and now im the worlds greatest Systems programmer ..

From: Mark on
werty wrote:
> Theres new h/w , much easier to program .. ARM cpu in all PDAs is
> so much easier to work with , it will destroy IBM-PC and Intel Pentium
> and Microsoft ... But it wont take long .....
> No one remembers the creator of truly Open s/w ( like Forth HLL )
> Forth devastated assembly coders paychecks ....30,000 programmers
> lost their jobs , they refused to use Forth in 1970 ....

Wow, who'd have thunk that this internet thingy would be so
informative.

> Study , Study , Study
> I did , and now im the worlds greatest Systems programmer ..

Nothing wrong with a little self-confidence, I suppose. Chortle.
Sorry, couldn't help feeding the trolls with this one. I find werty
always delightfully entertaining to read.

From: Manatee on
Thanks for all the information, John.

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
By the way, as to SPFV etc:

'SPFV(I%,N)=EXPM(LNP1(I%/100.)*N)+1.' DEFINE

'SPPV(I%,N)=EXPM(-LNP1(I%/100.)*N)+1.' DEFINE

'USFV(I%,N)=EXPM(LNP1(I%/100.)*N)/I%*100.' DEFINE

'USPV(I%,N)=-EXPM(-LNP1(I%/100.)*N)/I%*100.' DEFINE

This creates variables named SPFV etc.
which calculate each result from args on stack,
or may also be used algebraically, e.g.

'SPFV(2,50)' EVAL ==> 2.69158802908
'USPV(2,50)' EVAL ==> 31.4236058936

Although there is a built-in TVM solver (TVM command),
you can also write the TVM equation as below,
and then solve it via STEQ 30 MENU:

'PV/USPV(I%YR/PYR,N)+PMT*(1+B*I%YR/PYR/100.)+FV/USFV(I%YR/PYR,N)'

Where PYR is the number of payments per year,
and B is 0 for payments at END, or 1 for BEGin mode;
actually you should multiply this entire equation by N
if you expect to need to solve it for N.

Captain Video decoder ring info:

SPFV Single Payment Future Value
SPPV Single Payment Present Value
USFV Uniform Series Future Value
USPV Uniform Series Present Value
LNP1 LN(x+1) [preserves accuracy for x near zero]
EXPM1 EXP(x)-1 [named EXPM on 48/49/50]

The complete, one-page HP17B manual :)
http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp17b.html

Does anyone have an original Captain Video Decoder Ring?
http://www.slick-net.com/space/box/sptoys/pic13.phtml
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/scienceficti/scienceficti.htm
http://members.aol.com/cingram/television/dumont12.htm
http://www.440.com/twtd/archives/jun27.html [see 1949]
http://www.slick-net.com/space/box/

[r->] [OFF]

From: Manatee on
I know about all the other tools out there. I have an iPaq 4700 and a Palm
Treo 700p, both with great finance packages.

But... I'm a calculator nut. I was the first in my class to own a "pocket"
calculator -- a Datamath TI2500, in '73. Then I got an HP 25C. Wish I
still had it. I do still have the HP 12C I got when I started business
school in '82. I love that thing! I've changed the batteries in it TWICE
in 24 years.

My current collection includes a 42S, a 48GX, a 17B II+, and now the 50g.

I don't calculate to live... I live to calculate. :-)

Peter

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:52:11 -0600:

> Are functions available in the 50g solver
> like FLOW... from the 17b?

Re sums and cash flows,
the 17B could create named lists (or arrays)
within its SUM and CFLO applications,
which you could also access from formulas in its SOLVE
application via a set of special functions:

ITEM(listname:item#) [sums]
FLOW(listname:flow#) [cash flows]
#T(listname:flow#) [repetition counts for flows]
SIZES(listname) [sum list length]
SIZEC(listname) [cash flow list length]

In the 48/49/50, lists or arrays
may be stored under any name (or on the stack),
the SIZE command returns the number of elements
for any list or array, and individual elements
are addressable, e.g.:

{ 11 22 33 44 } 'MYDATA' STO

'MYDATA(2)+MYDATA(3)' EVAL ==> 55

MYDATA \GSLIST ==> 110 ["sum of a list" command]

444 'MYDATA(4)' STO [store into list element]
'MYDATA' 55 STO+ [append new element to end of list]
0 'MYDATA' STO+ [insert new element at head of list]

'\GS(n=1,4,MYDATA(n)^2)' EVAL [sum of squares]

Where \GS means the "Greek Sigma" character, etc.

The built-in statistics functions are also available
for the entry and correlation of individual or paired lists,
least-squares fit and predictors, etc.

"It's all in there." (just like Ragu spaghetti sauce :)

[r->] [OFF]