From: Manatee on
Thank you for your detailed assistance, John. Now I'm being careful to use
appx mode, and the apps are working fine. I also realized that I was
overwriting his GO-> functions by inadvertently assigning new values to them
(left-shift + GO-> would assign whatever was in the X register (?) to the
variable.) I'm being careful not to do that now.

And I will now e-mail Don Phillips to let him know of my interest in his
application. :-)

I'm enjoying the calculator so much that I'm tempted to pick up my math
studies where I left off 25 years ago, after differential equations. Well,
maybe I'll get some books.

Peter

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:06:23 -0600,
Peter carefully and thoroughly documented
(setting a very good example for everyone else :)

> I installed the Fin49a package on my 50g, but I'm having trouble
> understanding how to use it.
..
..
..

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on

"Raymond Del Tondo" <RDelT(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi Veli,
>
> it's the official Internet Tablet OS 2006 edition,
> version 1.2006.26-8 .
> I know there's a later release,
> but upgrading the Flash and reinstalling
> all apps is a painful job. I've done that twice.
> It takes about half an hour, not counting
> the re-install time for the other apps.
>
> And worse, Minimo, the only browser which could have been
> an alternative to the built-in Opera stuff,
> doesn't seem to be developed any further.
>
> After all, the 770 has been announced as Internet Tablet,
> but for exactly that purpose, browsing the web with the 770,
> the unit is too slow IMHO,
> and the built-in browser is not as good as it could be,
> to use calm words;-)
>
> I don't think the 870 will be much better in this respect,
> since it has the same limits, uses the same base OS and browser,
> and AFAIK it has the same slow ARM CPU.

Thanks for the short review - I stay away from the 770 at least

The main difference between (smart)phones and other stuff from
Nokia, Motorola, SOny-Ericsson, Siemens, LG, Samsung, Panasonic,...
seems to be
that power consumption is low and so is power
eg. the POcketPC versions with up to 600MHz of CPU speed
are capable of Skype processing and many other things
(like emulating HP calculators)
--
Veli-Pekka
PS: the screen at 800 pixels wide seems nice....is it?

From: Raymond Del Tondo on
Hi,

"Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" <DROP_vpn(a)dlc.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Raymond Del Tondo" <RDelT(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
>>
>> [..]
> Thanks for the short review - I stay away from the 770 at least
>
> The main difference between (smart)phones and other stuff from
> Nokia, Motorola, SOny-Ericsson, Siemens, LG, Samsung, Panasonic,...
> seems to be
> that power consumption is low and so is power
> eg. the POcketPC versions with up to 600MHz of CPU speed
> are capable of Skype processing and many other things
> (like emulating HP calculators)
> --
> Veli-Pekka
> PS: the screen at 800 pixels wide seems nice....is it?

Yes, the native screen resolution is 800 x 600 pixels on a 4.5 inch
diagonale,
which means very high dpi rate.
The display is bright and sharp, the drawback is the size.
At least for me, it's too small in the long run.
There's a nice hardware zoom button to magnify the screen contents,
but you always have to choose between microscopic sized letters
or using the scroll buttons more than normally needed.

The S*ny Vaio UX series has an even higher dpi rate,
with 1024 x 768 pixels at about a 5 inches diagonale,
but at least the UX machines are really fast,
and run a real WinXP, so you can use the real Firefox;-)

My favourite device is the Samsung Q1,
with a display resolution of 800 x 480 pixels,
like the Nokia 770, but at a 7 inch diagonale,
which is *much* better readable for me.

To switch the topic back to calculators at least:
The Editline functionality of my new UI.LIB
is 'fast as hell' now, so for normal editing tasks,
like UserRPL programs,
one may not even need another editor replacement anymore.

Hope to have it published before New Year's day;-)

Raymond

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
>> Thanks for the short review - I stay away from the 770 at least
> Yes, the native screen resolution is 800 x 600 pixels on a 4.5 inch
> diagonale,
> which means very high dpi rate.
> The display is bright and sharp, the drawback is the size.
> At least for me, it's too small in the long run.
> There's a nice hardware zoom button to magnify the screen contents,
> but you always have to choose between microscopic sized letters
> or using the scroll buttons more than normally needed.
>
> The S*ny Vaio UX series has an even higher dpi rate,
> with 1024 x 768 pixels at about a 5 inches diagonale,
> but at least the UX machines are really fast,
> and run a real WinXP, so you can use the real Firefox;-)

1024x600 4.5"
the shorter side is the size of a deck of cards
I prefer Sony over the others (for now)
The integrated (Q)WERTY kb is nice (You may loose the stylus)
I wish they had the FIN-SWE version, too...
and I wonder why no-one has left-right-handed styluses eg. two of them
The other one is a spare
(or useful if you loan it to a southpaw friend - or vise-versa)
--
Veli-Pekka

From: Raymond Del Tondo on

> [..UX..]
> 1024x600 4.5"

Thanks for the correction.
Still too small for me;-)

> and I wonder why no-one has left-right-handed styluses eg. two of them
> The other one is a spare

You could attach a spare stylus on the left side with a velcro strap...

Hope too get a Q1 soon...

Raymond