From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

> A question remains. What is wrong with AT&T/Yahoo's protection? I can
> assure you that I do not run around looking for oddball exe files to
> download and open.
>
> If no one knows, I think I'll ask them.

No matter what somebody else does on their computer(s) to combat the
spread of malware to you, you still need *antivirus* software to run
locally. Some folks substitute strict safe practices with antimalware
applications, mostly to clean up after themselves post infestation, but
also resident protection mechanisms to 'save their bacon' whilst they
ignore safe practices.

So, nothing may be *wrong* with their filtering. It will ultimately be
your responsibility to protect yourself either way.

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on

> ... but I'm extremely careful about opening messages from people I do
> not know.

Common misconception.

Chances are good (perhaps better?) that an infestation can come from
someone you *do* know.

From: W. eWatson on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>> A question remains. What is wrong with AT&T/Yahoo's protection? I can
>> assure you that I do not run around looking for oddball exe files to
>> download and open.
>>
>> If no one knows, I think I'll ask them.
>
> No matter what somebody else does on their computer(s) to combat the
> spread of malware to you, you still need *antivirus* software to run
> locally. Some folks substitute strict safe practices with antimalware
> applications, mostly to clean up after themselves post infestation, but
> also resident protection mechanisms to 'save their bacon' whilst they
> ignore safe practices.
>
> So, nothing may be *wrong* with their filtering. It will ultimately be
> your responsibility to protect yourself either way.

I think my post suggests that. Nevertheless, the absence of any such
statement by AT&T almost suggests they are giving one full protection.
They seem to be making a good attempt at it. I haven't yet added their
Security Monitor, Suite, Monitor ... whatever they call it.
Interestingly, I had started to install it, and realized I didn't have
time to do it, so began to cancel. I received a msg that I would have
download it again if I did. I guess that's smart so as not to somehow
avoid some infection. Nothing disturbing, just never had that happen
during a download, for example, Google Earth.
From: W. eWatson on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>> ... but I'm extremely careful about opening messages from people I do
>> not know.
>
> Common misconception.
>
> Chances are good (perhaps better?) that an infestation can come from
> someone you *do* know.

I certainly had that happen, once in 10 years or more of using the
internet. He finally figured it out after I traced it back to him. I was
getting bombarded by 100-200 msgs per day. I've had no more than 6
infections during that time, and only recently under AT*T exceeded that
by two.
From: 1PW on
W. eWatson wrote:
> 1PW wrote:
>> W. eWatson wrote:

>>> A question remains. What is wrong with AT&T/Yahoo's protection?
>>
>> What protection? To what depth do you expect your ISP to protect you?
>> Why do think we strongly suggest you run a good NAT router, maintain
>> a good personal firewall, and the best AV and even several antispyware
>> applications, plus good current backups?
>
> I expected total protection, but as I just learned from their tech
> support that's not necessarily true.

That's certainly a gross understatement I'm afraid.

> One weakness is that I receive my
> mail via Thunderbird.

When I last looked, you were at 2.0.0.23 - that part is OK.

> No virus check is performed, but I'm extremely
> careful about opening messages from people I do not know.

It's highly probable that your ISP /is/ doing a malware check. How
thorough is debatable though. However it could be adequate. As may
have been pointed out by others, what you download from those you know
can be just as dangerous.

> Their firewall
> via DSL seems sound.

Unless you own or lease your /hardware/ firewall from your ISP the
your protection is probably mostly imagined. Probably only a
minuscule few ports are blocked. Sorry!

> Another potential weakness is visiting web sites.
> First, the tech guy said basically you are on your own, but then clued
> me into their Security Suite, which I'm now downloading, and will
> install shortly. It does offer web site protection. See * below. BTW,
> they use McAfee for security.

Although the assessment of being on your own is quite accurate, your
following move was ill advised. At least you'll be able to uninstall
the McAfee software once you've learned your lesson. And now, won't
you have two different antivirus engines going? This too is not
advised. Yes - they probably "give" away the McAfee software for free.

I should have asked earlier - who is your ISP?

Again, I apologize for the harsh tone of my statement. I'm fairly
sure you want reputable information though.

> Nevertheless, respondents here have consistently drifted off the main
> reason for my post.

We are a full service newsgroup!

> Interpreting the msgs from AVG. I had no reason to
> use it other than make a quick check on my system. Everyone seems
> determined to provide responses to every thing but my main request.
> There is one infection that AVG tells me that it cannot quarantine.
> That's important to understand. If you want to discuss more here, that's
> fine, but how about dealing with the AVG msgs, and in particular the one
> just mentioned.

Although many here do run AVG, it seems nobody has experienced what
you see or they aren't coming forward. Hence, I'd suggest you lurk or
join the AVG forum:

<http://forums.avg.com/>

> The game is wide open as to what I do next regarding
> additional infection software and firewalls.
>
> winver? OK, that's a tall order, since that's a lot to type. Here are
> the basics. Win XP PRO, Vers 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2 etc. for Service
> Pack 2). 1.572 G of memory.

What might be keeping you from updating to service pack 3 and all its
subsequent fixes? Your amount of ram is good.

> * From their web site:
> McAfee� VirusScan� Plus offers proactive PC security to prevent
> malicious attacks, so you can protect what you value as well as surf,
> search, and download files online with confidence. McAfee SiteAdvisor's
> Web safety ratings, help you avoid unsafe Web sites. This service also
> provides security against multi-pronged attacks by combining anti-virus,
> anti-spyware and firewall technologies. McAfee's security service
> continuously delivers the latest software so your protection is never
> out-of-date. You can now easily add and manage security for multiple PCs
> in your home. Moreover, improved performance allows it to protect,
> without disturbing you.

Let us know when you've had enough of McAfee and we'll try to help you
out.

> Cheers.
>>
>>> I can assure you that I do not run around looking for oddball exe
>>> files to
>>> download and open.
>>
>> But if you fail to have a well maintained/protected system, you might
>> as well be...
>>
>> My apologies to you if I missed it in your previous posts. What is
>> the exact output from the "winver" command on your system?
>>
>>> If no one knows, I think I'll ask them.
>>
>> Please repeat to us, in this thread, what you are told by them. I
>> believe it will be quite interesting and perhaps quite a wake-up call
>> for some.
>>
>> Respectfully,

Best wishes to you.

--