From: W. eWatson on
I'm having some trouble with Firefox, and have gotten to the phase where
I decided to run a virus checker on my C: HD. My basic difficulty is
what I would call herky-jerky operation. When I'm typing or scrolling,
things stop for many seconds, then start. It came after a the plug from
my PC accidentally pulled out. FF failed upon recovery. I put it back
together by re-installing and retaining e-mail, etc. For awhile it
worked fine, but then started halting as above. I did a cclean, and that
got it rolling again, only for the problem to return within 10 or so hours.

I did a diagnostic on the HD and it passed. I then began to try a virus
check with AVG, which I have never used before. I have question about
what it report. If I knew of a web site to temporarily post images of
the vault, I'd post it.

I posted the following in the FF support group.

My virus scan with AVG proved very interesting. It found several
infections, three were trojans, several tracking cookies (associated
with FF and probably SeaMonkey, and a worm in
Doc&Settings/.../dialsys.exe. I took care of them. They are now in the
vault. That was all last evening.

Some hours of the scan I sat down at the PC to find AVG Resident Shield
had found two more Trojan Horses. Correcting thes matters last night
provided no change in the problem with FF that I reported.

What's quite surprising to me is the "infections". Apparently, AT&T
Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them. By
the latter, I mean are these infections dead on arrival anyway? In
almost a decade of internet use, I've contracted maybe 3 viruses. This
is certainly different.

Well, I'll continue to trouble shoot today as I can. Right now I'm just
using SeaMonkey.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com>

| I'm having some trouble with Firefox, and have gotten to the phase where
| I decided to run a virus checker on my C: HD. My basic difficulty is
| what I would call herky-jerky operation. When I'm typing or scrolling,
| things stop for many seconds, then start. It came after a the plug from
| my PC accidentally pulled out. FF failed upon recovery. I put it back
| together by re-installing and retaining e-mail, etc. For awhile it
| worked fine, but then started halting as above. I did a cclean, and that
| got it rolling again, only for the problem to return within 10 or so hours.

| I did a diagnostic on the HD and it passed. I then began to try a virus
| check with AVG, which I have never used before. I have question about
| what it report. If I knew of a web site to temporarily post images of
| the vault, I'd post it.

| I posted the following in the FF support group.

| My virus scan with AVG proved very interesting. It found several
| infections, three were trojans, several tracking cookies (associated
| with FF and probably SeaMonkey, and a worm in
| Doc&Settings/.../dialsys.exe. I took care of them. They are now in the
| vault. That was all last evening.

| Some hours of the scan I sat down at the PC to find AVG Resident Shield
| had found two more Trojan Horses. Correcting thes matters last night
| provided no change in the problem with FF that I reported.

| What's quite surprising to me is the "infections". Apparently, AT&T
| Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them. By
| the latter, I mean are these infections dead on arrival anyway? In
| almost a decade of internet use, I've contracted maybe 3 viruses. This
| is certainly different.

| Well, I'll continue to trouble shoot today as I can. Right now I'm just
| using SeaMonkey.

Please add to your scan, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

PS: I doubt that AVG is "too sensitive" nor finding False Positives.

--
Dave

From: W. eWatson on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com>
>
> | I'm having some trouble with Firefox, and have gotten to the phase where
> | I decided to run a virus checker on my C: HD. My basic difficulty is
> | what I would call herky-jerky operation. When I'm typing or scrolling,
> | things stop for many seconds, then start. It came after a the plug from
> | my PC accidentally pulled out. FF failed upon recovery. I put it back
> | together by re-installing and retaining e-mail, etc. For awhile it
> | worked fine, but then started halting as above. I did a cclean, and that
> | got it rolling again, only for the problem to return within 10 or so hours.
>
> | I did a diagnostic on the HD and it passed. I then began to try a virus
> | check with AVG, which I have never used before. I have question about
> | what it report. If I knew of a web site to temporarily post images of
> | the vault, I'd post it.
>
> | I posted the following in the FF support group.
>
> | My virus scan with AVG proved very interesting. It found several
> | infections, three were trojans, several tracking cookies (associated
> | with FF and probably SeaMonkey, and a worm in
> | Doc&Settings/.../dialsys.exe. I took care of them. They are now in the
> | vault. That was all last evening.
>
> | Some hours of the scan I sat down at the PC to find AVG Resident Shield
> | had found two more Trojan Horses. Correcting thes matters last night
> | provided no change in the problem with FF that I reported.
>
> | What's quite surprising to me is the "infections". Apparently, AT&T
> | Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them. By
> | the latter, I mean are these infections dead on arrival anyway? In
> | almost a decade of internet use, I've contracted maybe 3 viruses. This
> | is certainly different.
>
> | Well, I'll continue to trouble shoot today as I can. Right now I'm just
> | using SeaMonkey.
>
> Please add to your scan, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
>
> PS: I doubt that AVG is "too sensitive" nor finding False Positives.

On what basis do you think I should try another virus checker. A five
star review somewhere?

What I'm suggesting is there's a potential for some bias for sales
purposes. That's not necessarily directed at AVG. Is there a standards
committee on viruses, worms, etc.?
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
[...]

> What's quite surprising to me is the "infections". Apparently, AT&T
> Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them.
> By the latter, I mean are these infections dead on arrival anyway? In
> almost a decade of internet use, I've contracted maybe 3 viruses. This
> is certainly different.

Are you relying solely on the ISP's software to stop you from getting
malware?

[...]

You may have some corrupted files (as well as unseen malware). If it
were me, I'd flatten and rebuild.

From: Leythos on
In article <h7n8b1$dd8$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
wolftracks(a)invalid.com says...

> I'm having some trouble with Firefox, and have gotten to the phase where
> I decided to run a virus checker on my C: HD. My basic difficulty is
> what I would call herky-jerky operation. When I'm typing or scrolling,
> things stop for many seconds, then start. It came after a the plug from
> my PC accidentally pulled out. FF failed upon recovery. I put it back
> together by re-installing and retaining e-mail, etc. For awhile it
> worked fine, but then started halting as above. I did a cclean, and that
> got it rolling again, only for the problem to return within 10 or so hours.
>
> I did a diagnostic on the HD and it passed. I then began to try a virus
> check with AVG, which I have never used before. I have question about
> what it report. If I knew of a web site to temporarily post images of
> the vault, I'd post it.
>
> I posted the following in the FF support group.
>
> My virus scan with AVG proved very interesting. It found several
> infections, three were trojans, several tracking cookies (associated
> with FF and probably SeaMonkey, and a worm in
> Doc&Settings/.../dialsys.exe. I took care of them. They are now in the
> vault. That was all last evening.
>
> Some hours of the scan I sat down at the PC to find AVG Resident Shield
> had found two more Trojan Horses. Correcting thes matters last night
> provided no change in the problem with FF that I reported.
>
> What's quite surprising to me is the "infections". Apparently, AT&T
> Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them. By
> the latter, I mean are these infections dead on arrival anyway? In
> almost a decade of internet use, I've contracted maybe 3 viruses. This
> is certainly different.
>
> Well, I'll continue to trouble shoot today as I can. Right now I'm just
> using SeaMonkey.

You need something better than AVG, my experience with hundreds of
computers using AVG is that it's one of the least protective out on the
market.

Trust yourself.