From: David H. Lipman on
From: "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com>

>>> Cheers...

>> If you don't have a good NAT router between your DSL modem and
>> computer, you should consider doing this soon.

>> As was pointed out before, Avira's AntiVir Personal is superior to
>> AVG. If at some point you haven't resolved your situation with AVG,
>> you should consider Avira.

| I'll have more to say on that (Avira) in a moment. Somehow most seem to
| think I'm stuck on AVG. I had downloaded maybe a year ago and it was handy.

| I'll look up NAT router on Google in a minute.

| This is the end of this thread, as far as I'm concerned. I'll be
| starting a new one related to it soon. Stay tuned.

| Until next time ...

Plaese do NOT keep creating new threads.

Plaese stick to the thread you have created to keep the full discussion contiguous.
It has already become fragmented :-(

NAT Router -- A Router that perform Network Address Translation (NAT) to provide routing
between private address schemes like 192.168.0.0 to a WAN node.

NAT Routers by nature do simplistic FireWall capabilities and can be told to specifically
allow or deny traffic. For exmaple to specifically block all NetBIOS over IP traffic.

An example of this capability is to block NetBIOS message that would often come as spam
PopUp to the PC. While WinXP Sp2 turned off the "Messenger Service", a Windows PC drectly
connected to the Internet with "Messenger Service" enabled can receive a NetBIOS PopUp
message such as by using the "NET SEND " command. A PC behind a NAT Router with the
"Messenger Service" enabled will not receive such messages.

--
Dave

From: Leythos on
In article <4AA5CE35.3DEC897A(a)Guy.com>, Virus(a)Guy.com says...
> There is basically nothing that a software firewall does regarding
> in-bound packet-blocking that is not performed more efficiently and
> reliably by a NAT-router.

Actually, that's misleading. Most software firewalls, ones running on
your computer, are misconfigured by default. Many of them are preset to
allow file sharing, and each time you install an application they may
create a hole that could be exploited.

Also, if there is an exploit in the OS it could lead to compromise.

One last threat - running as a local administrator level account,
malware can insert or disable the windows firewall.

If a person has a NAT router they won't suffer the above exploit paths
at the router unless they pole "holes" through the NAT rules - by
default there are none in most NAT routers.

Most NAT routers can detect various attack methods and block that
source, some soft firewall can do that.

Trust yourself.
From: Virus Guy on
Leythos wrote:

> > There is basically nothing that a software firewall does
> > regarding in-bound packet-blocking that is not performed
> > more efficiently and reliably by a NAT-router.
>
> Actually, that's misleading.

I just said that a NAT-router is better than a software firewall with
respect to in-bound connection filtering.

You go on to claim basically the same thing.

So how is what I said misleading?
From: Leythos on
In article <4AA66420.C74843F3(a)Guy.com>, Virus(a)Guy.com says...

> Leythos wrote:
>
> > > There is basically nothing that a software firewall does
> > > regarding in-bound packet-blocking that is not performed
> > > more efficiently and reliably by a NAT-router.
> >
> > Actually, that's misleading.
>
> I just said that a NAT-router is better than a software firewall with
> respect to in-bound connection filtering.
>
> You go on to claim basically the same thing.
>
> So how is what I said misleading?

I provided details on how/why, so that people could learn from it
instead of just assuming that all soft firewalls are bad.

As an example, if I was to install a Soft firewall on a limited gateway
PC acting as a firewall for my lan, depending on the soft firewall
choice, it might provide better protection should I decide to open a few
port for inbound connections.

Trust yourself.