From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:34:16 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

> The right place for a program to be is hpcalc.org

When I ported a particular HP program listed on "hpcalc"
from 48 to 49 series, which someone desired immediately,
their educational course might long have been over
by the time my upload first became visible at www.hpcalc.org,
so I also uploaded it to one of those "temporary file" places
which require no registration for either upload or download:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/af3ad421e8bbe80c

Is this not something which we can use at any time,
if we desire to get something into other people's hands
for actual use immediately?

[r->] [OFF]
From: Claudio Lapilli on
On Mar 31, 4:40 pm, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> Is this not something which we can use at any time,
> if we desire to get something into other people's hands
> for actual use immediately?
>
> [r->] [OFF]

What's wrong with being patient? :-)

OK, here it is...

http://rapidshare.com/files/23719873/FLASHTOOLS.zip.html

Claudio

From: John H Meyers on
[about when uploading files to www.hpcalc.org,
possibly also uploading a copy to a "temp file URL"
for faster access to people who are in a hurry]

The very calc application that I mentioned as an example
(the "RAS30 Logistic Regression" program
which I ported from "48" to "49" and sent back to "hpcalc")
did eventually get added to www.hpcalc.org,
but only the first version which contained
a bad binary file got put on the site.

I had already sent the corrected version to "hpcalc"
even before its first appearance,
and have since sent yet another, in case that earlier one
got lost somewhere, but it has been months since I did that,
and the version remaining posted at "hpcalc" is still the bad original.

Eric does an outstanding service by maintaining his wonderful site,
so I assume that he's much too busy with demands and responsibilities
of "real life" to keep up with everything that's sent to the site;
thus the thought that I'm putting forth here
is not to put files anywhere else *instead* of hpcalc,
but just a way to make an *extra*copy* downloadable at once,
if an author desires, to relieve any pressure on "hpcalc"
to catch up with the backlog, or on users to keep waiting for them.

Temporary file posting services like "filefactory.com"
generally fill a need for people to send "oversize"
attachments which are too big for their ISP (or Yahoo etc.)
email to handle, but they can also serve to expedite
the delivery of any other files which are stuck
in a long pipeline; the files are available only at
temporary URLs that aren't indexed by any web crawlers,
so they would never be in competition with "hpcalc,"
which is where the file is destined to appear anyway,
except via snail mail -- it's just a way
to get the Post Office to do a "special delivery"
a bit faster than waiting for the usual mailman :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:54:28 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

> OK, here it is...

Thanks for uploading it (while I was writing a previous post :)

I couldn't download it, but that's just some technical problem --
the site first said something about the link expiring
almost instantly, then upon retrying, it said
"Your IP-address is already downloading a file"
(from the first attempt, which already failed?)
or perhaps from one of the thousand other computers
on this campus, which share the same single public IP address
of the main firewall or router :)

Interesting how it changes languages meanwhile:
"Hoste deine Dateien KOSTENLOS bei RapidShare!"

Thanks again, and hope that this idea
(for temporary URLs while awaiting permanent filing at hpcalc)
finds further utility in the future.

[r->] [OFF]
From: DueƱo de Monte on
> OK, here it is...
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/23719873/FLASHTOOLS.zip.html
>
> Claudio

Thanks ! I got it and going to test it.

Daniel

P.D.: Nothing wrong on being patient, but .... thanks anyway.